Channel Islands and EU/France as UK passport holders

Marceline

Visit site
Hi - I'm thinking ahead to next year and starting to work out some possible plans

We're UK passport holders and wanting to visit France/EU next year an wondered about being based in the Channel Islands and visiting EU for 90days at a time and heading back so not to fall foul of brexit rules/probs

Guessing its pricey for marinas in Channel Islands but we thought we'd ask (maybe if not too bad even get a year long marina contract even though not there most of the year)

a 'basic' plan could be head to France and work our way along the coast, and head over to Channel Islands when close to 90 days (after checking in/out of France), and then repeat a few times for a year or so and hopefully also visit Northern Spain / French Canals

Marceline

Visit site
we'd maybe hope to spend Winter in a marina (or French Canals) and be able to spend a year or so on our boat around there

just hoping for any advice/suggestions and whether others have done/are doing similar

Tranona

Visit site
Channel Islands is outside Schengen, so time there does not count, nor does it affect the 90/180 rule. As you say marinas are expensive there and if leaving the boat for any length of time you will be better off leaving it in France while you wait out your time. No restrictions on leaving your boat there for up to 18 months which restarts if you leave the EU just for a day.

The 90 days is a real limitation in N Europe because of the limits of the sailing season. Difficult to fit more than 90 days a sailing year. For France better to look at a 6 month tourist visa as several here have done.

Marceline

Visit site
Thanks Tranona and will look into the 6 month tourist Visa (y)

re: Channel Islands out of Schengen I think that's what we were hoping - to have 90 days there to enjoy and explore the Islands and then head back over to France/EU for another 90 days, and maybe keep that going for a year or so and aim to maybe winter in France (canals maybe?), then spring back to Channel Islands/or back to UK etc for 90 days and then back into EU etc

We're hoping to live on our boat for about 2 years and while not looking to be fulltime liveaboards (we're planning to buy a house, we're just wanting to take our time and our UK address will be my parent's home) we thought next year is as good/bad a time as any to go for an extended time on a boat and see if it suits us

AndersG

Visit site
Hi - I'm thinking ahead to next year and starting to work out some possible plans

We're UK passport holders and wanting to visit France/EU next year an wondered about being based in the Channel Islands and visiting EU for 90days at a time and heading back so not to fall foul of brexit rules/probs

Guessing its pricey for marinas in Channel Islands but we thought we'd ask (maybe if not too bad even get a year long marina contract even though not there most of the year)

a 'basic' plan could be head to France and work our way along the coast, and head over to Channel Islands when close to 90 days (after checking in/out of France), and then repeat a few times for a year or so and hopefully also visit Northern Spain / French Canals
If you have stayed in Schengen for 90 days you must stay out of Schengen for 90 days.

Tranona

Visit site
While it is possible to do what you want it may not be as practical as you think. First you may find it difficult to get a berth in the CI - there are really only 3 marinas, 2 in Guernsey and one in Jersey. They are small places, expensive and not a lot to do. Second as I intimated the sailing season is short in this part of the world and hopping into (or out of) France is not a trivial matter in the winter, neither is living on board.

I think you have to accept that living full time on board in Europe for a non EU citizen is really impractical. Cruising France for 6 months a year is if you can meet the requirements of their 6 months visa, but you have to accept you need to have somewhere outside Schengen for the other 6 months - or 3 months if you then add on your 90/180 in another state.

st599

Visit site
You also have to look at the tax rules for Jersey and Guernsey as you probably don't want to become tax resident.