Channel Depths at Bembidge

JamesS

Visit site
This week I had the chance to stop over in Bembridge. Being the only visitor it was quite a pleasure.

Over the past years I've been concerned that the published depths are patently innaccurate. The almanac quotes 'no access for 1.5m craft LW +/- 2.5 hrs' - so presumably there is access at HW +/- 3.5 hrs.

Anyway, having time to kill and very pleasant weather, I left the marina at HW -3 in the boat which draws 1.5m.

First hazard was just off the pontoon adjacent to buoy 17, aground on the mud until HW -2.45 just enought time to get the fenders away and have a general tidy.

Next hazard opposite Attrils Yard at buoy 12 aground again until HW - 2.40.

Aground again close to buoy 11 (betwwen the buoy and the beach). Got off at HW -2.30.

Aground again just before bouys 9 & 10 and off by HW -2.20.

This is ok on a rising tide with time on your side, but I wouln't chance an approach much after HW yet only a few years ago I used to regularly sneek in at HW -3.

You've been warned!

davel

Visit site
Been There. Done that!
Last time in Bembridge, we were sat at the BayWater cafe, overlooking the entrance, chuckling as a couple of boats tried to come in to the harbour four and a half hours before HW. Of course they got stuck and we sat there smugly smiling knowing that our almanac based, careful calculations told us we had to wait till HW-3 before we attempted to leave (we draw 1.8mtrs).

Left harbour at HW-3 on the dot and, of course, got stuck in the channel. Lots of rueful glances across to all those smart alec's we knew would be sat smiling at the BayWater cafe!

G

Yes, its definitely silting up. The marina dredged last winter, but the rest is getting bad. Came out HW -3, saw one yacht on the beach having been forced onto it from the fast incoming tide at the narrow harbour entrance, and then got stuck behind some prat who didn't inderstand that some welly was needed to keep control in the channel with the strength of the incoming tide.

chas

Visit site
Try Exmouth

Some pilots will have you believe that there is more than a metre minimum depth at chart datum in the fairway. In fact, it is now less than half.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by chas on Mon Dec 10 09:45:04 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Drawing 1.2m on my BK's, I find access at all times in / out of Bembridge ..... I know its not much use to some of you out there, but Bige Keelers do have some advantages !!!!

Just be careful to stay in the channel and give it some 'welly' at the turn to enter the harbour proper ! The current has played a trick on many there and put them on the beach !