Changing Names & Keeping Sane

KrisHansen

Visit site
Does anyone know of the traditional way of fighting off bad luck when taking the decision to change the name of a boat?

I would be inclined, of course, to be sceptical and brush the thing off as superstition, had I not read an article in Classic Boat (I think) some time ago, regarding a Folkboat named Vanella.

The last paragraph of an article covering a lengthy restoration read something like "Finally, we decided to change the name of the boat, disregarding all the muttering about it being unlucky". That was the end of the article, except for an editors subscript reading "Some time after this article was written, Vanella dragged her mooring in 106mph winds and sustained severe damage to her port side".

This somewhat alarmed me, and I'm fairly cynical. However, whilst searching for my perfect boat, I've come across some wonderful vessels with names that I really couldn't live with. What do I do? I seem to remember some talk of a relaunching technique using two horseshoes... one for the old name, one for the new... anybody know about this, or any other method of keeping the hex at bay?

- Kris Hansen

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
Here in the Far South West (as opposed to the "south west" that includes Gloucester! - almost in the midlands.) we proper Cornish are very superstitous about changing boat names. We do do it though, and one way is to do it during the winter lay-up. The boat comes out of the water with one name and goes back in with another.

We did it with our boat. We thought the previous owners would like to take the name to their next boat, which they did want to do - and the name was too well known to keep telling others that it was now "our" boat.

New or renamed boats usually get a "christening party" with lemonade and saffron buns. Another Cornish (Saint Ives) thing.

We've got lots of superstitions. We could write a book about them!!

Go for it, but over the winter lay-up.

regards,
Philip

regards,
Philip<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by philip_stevens on Sat Aug 25 21:21:59 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Superstitious nonsense

Kris, you don't really think that changing the name of a boat is going to invoke freak weather systems that target individual boats causing them to drag their moorings ? I suspect that the origins of the superstition is something far more practical and to do with money . Despite the superstition , I know lots of people who've changed the names of their boats and both they and their boats are still sailing happily together. First find your boat , then change the name to something you're comfortable with. In case you think this makes me a complete agnostic who doesn't believe in the supernatural at all , I'm naming my new boat with the old Roman ceremony of taking a silver chalice and pouring part of the contents over the bows and naming the boat. The rest of the contents of the chalice , in this case , champers , is then drunk. To appease the sea gods the silver chalice is tossed into the sea as an offering. We're an odd lot us humans.

KrisHansen

Visit site
This sounds eminently sensible, Phillip, particularly the lay-up part - or in my case, coming out for a bit of work before I move aboard. So, I think I have a plan...

I'm slightly unnerved by the pagan undercurrents of all the 'ceremonies' I've read about - as a Christian, albeit a fairly-irreverant-and-not-practising-very-often one, I'm thinking about getting my minister to write a blessing... and then, after publishing it on the Internet so people can doubt my sanity even further....

...presumably I could have her in the slings ready to go back in, get my partner to wallop a bottle of Bollinger on the stemhead, and then drop her in. She'd get a bottle to herself (boat, not partner!), and we'd have another one... and maybe some buns...

Oh well, lots to think about. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice!! I feel much more confident about not enraging any deities.

- Kris Hansen

billmacfarlane

Visit site
Re: Superstitious nonsense

Hello Phillip,
It's not a renaming but simply a naming ceremony. You're nearly right about my Scottishness. When I was looking at various ceremonies, that one appealed not because of the chalice but because it doesn't waste a perfectly good bottle of champagne. You get to drink most of the bottle which is all right by me. Sensible people the Romans. Mind you apart from that , what did the Romans ever do for us ?

KrisHansen

Visit site
Re: Be careful

Surely a boat making her way astern for the pleasure of the Gods has right of way over another?

But seriously, I actually think that, of all the traditions and ceremonies I've researched today, I find the idea of "reversing over the old name" and "impressing the god with one's skill" the most obscure and peculiar. I don't think that I'll be practising *that* one at sea! I'd hate to explain my actions to the poor soul who's vessel I "back into"!

- Kris Hansen

jollyjacktar

Visit site
Be Very, Very, Careful

I would be very, very, careful if I were you. Make sure you get the proper authorized and correct ceremony. I changed the name on one of my boats once but did not do things right and the result was the Fastnet Race disaster. Mind you I was not saliing at the time and nothing happened to me or my boat but you know the result.

chas

Visit site
I am pretty sure that if you examine your prayer book, you will find a service of dedication for a ship. if not, your local padre may help. Perhaps a Roman chalice full of champers may help to gain his cooperation.

KrisHansen

Visit site
I think I can safely say that champagne will certainly be involved, no matter what procedure eventually takes place.

I currently have a member of the ministry "on the case", and she is looking into rites, particularly old-ish ones, and for someone suitable to perform them. I'll post my results if they're interesting enough!!

- Kris Hansen

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
My boat has had either three or four names in her 16 year life. Absolutely no bad luck attached, not that I would believe in such an archaic idea. We did utilise the champagne on initial launch after renaming though, (internally, not wasted) it didn't seem to do any harm.

incognito

N/A
Visit site
Re: Superstitious nonsense

C'mon Bill.... Silver Chalice? SILVER???? Just cos Aluminium foil looks silvery doesn't mean you'll get away with that. Neptune will have you for supper!!