Changing Forum?

cynthia

Visit site
The sailing club bar - nice one, most of them have a dominant group of voluable chauvanist who are the only ones who can run a country, sail a boat etc, but they are good value for money and provide a lot of interest and a few laughs. Once I had recognised that in their eyes I am a) inferior (a woman) and b) have an inferior boat (a Bav.) and most importantly that the vast majority of users are helpful, friendly, well informed, interesting and interested then the forum became compulsive visiting.

Away from the virtual world, we're setting off next week for three months sailing the Spanish/Portugese coast in our much enjoyed, comfortable Bav. (we have no complaints about the sailing performance and haven't lost any anchors either!) but undoubtedly one of the first things I'll do when we return is log on and see how everyone on the forum is doing. Wouldn't miss it for the world.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Yachting World forum disappeared because it wasn't being used. The is an America's Cup forum right now but that isn't being used either...low interest during event, zero interest afterwards.

I've offered to set up a separate lounge for non-boaty stuff, registered users eyes only, but that seemed to be rejected before by those who felt it was easier to keep all comment in one area.

<hr width=100% size=1>

billmacfarlane

Visit site
.... my delight has been short-lived. From what I can see, it's mostly politics, in-jokes or simply totally unrelated to boating. It seems to have become a low-end/tabloid chat-room. The most interesting (boaty) threads seem to have the least response whilst the innane/irrelevant ones attract most banter ?????????
Sounds like a pretty fair description of a yacht club.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
and then weve got the old crusties

set in their ways, shooting the same old story from the hip, but good fun to wind up all the same,
just like a good bar !!
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

Maxidom

Visit site
Re: and then weve got the old crusties

Surely there is or should be a forum for the more cerebral - those who want to discuss sailing in more depth rather than try to mix the banter and often inane bar level chatter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
i cant agree more

if we talk about sailing we are "cerebral" and if we have a bit of banter does that mean we are not? does that mean those who dare to stray off the path are thick?
in the immortal words of del boy !!
s

<hr width=100% size=1>