Change in International Code of Signals?

Visit site
I carry a "Life Saving Signals" placard issued by the MCA on board which, I understand, is a requirement under SOLAS

The placard tells me to use the International Code Of Signals to communicate with other vessels but then goes on to show

"Require Medical Assistance" is now shown as "X" and not "W" .

Similarly, the "Yes" signal is now shown as "Y" rather than "C"

Which should I be using? - Hopefully none of them but I am a tad confused.

Alan ashore

Visit site
I think the distinction here is between the International Code of signals, and ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) signals. I imagine and hope that the placard actually shows both.

I'm sure someone will jump in to explain how and when we might see the latter - but I don't think in practice we are likely to!

A.

VicS

Visit site
alan ashore has nalied it

The International code of signals are V,W, N, and C

The ICAD visual signals are V, X, N, Y and an arrow to show the direction in which to change course.

My "placard" shows both!

Last edited:

Birdseye

Visit site
Which should I be using? - Hopefully none of them but I am a tad confused.

I would hope you wouldnt in any way be relying on any of them. Do you really think that a Philipino deck officer on a tanker is going to be looking out for you flying signal flags of the sort used at the battle of Jutland? Go on, tell me - you are up to date with semaphore and are hot at using Aldis and morse. Both of which I learned in a former life.

Just leg pulling but I wonder how many yachts even carry those flags

P.S. ON passage in the eastern med and you see a big ship, do you ask him to report your position to lloyds?

prv

Visit site
P.S. ON passage in the eastern med and you see a big ship, do you ask him to report your position to lloyds?

I seem to remember a thread about this a while back, and the consensus was that there is no longer any such procedure - Lloyds have no system for accepting such reports or passing on the information to anyone else.

I think someone said he'd made the old signal to a merchant ship, and later found out they'd emailed Falmouth Coastguard which seems a sensible alternative.

Pete

VicS

Visit site
My "placard" shows both!

scan0215.jpg

Last edited:

laika

Visit site

Angele

Visit site
cf the image posted by Vic, I have found that there is indeed a rather more disturbing MCA version:

I was surprised and a bit dismayed to find this, but it seems to date from 2003!

The Reeds Almanac contains similar, but shows the difference between International Code of Signals (e.g. C for 'yes') vs ICAO Visual Signals (Y for 'yes').