Chandlers in or arround Glasgow

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi.
Done a brief search for Chandlers in or around Glasgow. All I could find was Duncan’s in central Glasgow. I know Gale force sent there now. Any others say heading towards Gourock. I need some mooring lines and the ones I ordered online arnt man enough for shoes laces.

Steveeasy

Robih

Boat - West Scotland, Home - Tamar, Devon
Visit site
Hi.
Done a brief search for Chandlers in or around Glasgow. All I could find was Duncan’s in central Glasgow. I know Gale force sent there now. Any others say heading towards Gourock. I need some mooring lines and the ones I ordered online arnt man enough for shoes laces.

Steveeasy
Nothing west of Duncans until you get to Kip. Best option is Jimmy Green online. Not the cheapest but quality.

Martin&Rene

Visit site
Duncans is not in the centre of Glasgow. I used to have that misperception. It is quite easy to find from J22 M8 or even easier (2 mins) from J1 on the M74. I told him year's ago that he needed to update his information to recognise that a lot of people would now be passing his place on the M74 on their way up from down south. He did not. Some people do not seem to want to make it easy for potential customers. They have parking around the back.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Duncans is not in the centre of Glasgow. I used to have that misperception. It is quite easy to find from J22 M8 or even easier (2 mins) from J1 on the M74. I told him year's ago that he needed to update his information to recognise that a lot of people would now be passing his place on the M74 on their way up from down south. He did not. Some people do not seem to want to make it easy for potential customers. They have parking around the back.

Well it is only 1 km from George Square. Also accessible from Sheild's Road subway station, that is pretty central in my opinion.

bikedaft

Visit site
when did Gael force shut their glasgow office? that is crap.

there is a chandlery in Rhu, Crhu i think, he is good, if you are staying N of the river

wallacebob

Visit site
Sadly Gaelforce in Glasgow, Hillington closed a while ago. I think their Southampton site also shut? Nice run to Inverness tho’. Duncan’s is very easy to get to. Travel via Edinburgh; Bo’suns locker at S Queensferry!

Martin&Rene

Visit site
Ok guys. Not being local, I would regard the grid street plan area north of the river as being the main centre of Glasgow and in that area finding your way and finding parking is not easy for a visitor. When I used to visit Glasgow on business, I was confused so many times, I actually went out and bought a car compass so I knew which way I was going. The point I was trying to make, and which Steve seems to have accepted, is that when you know where it is Duncans is very easy to find quickly if you are passing through the area.
QED

steveeasy

Visit site
Stopped off great chandlers with everything I needed. Must be very busy with lots of stock. Some good rope clearance items as well. 1 min off motorway and lots of parking. Simples
Steveeasy

scottie

Visit site
Ok guys. Not being local, I would regard the grid street plan area north of the river as being the main centre of Glasgow and in that area finding your way and finding parking is not easy for a visitor. When I used to visit Glasgow on business, I was confused so many times, I actually went out and bought a car compass so I knew which way I was going. The point I was trying to make, and which Steve seems to have accepted, is that when you know where it is Duncans is very easy to find quickly if you are passing through the area.
QED
Having lived in Glasgow for my Three score plus ten and more i would have commended the town planners for their grid system until recently in that with bus lanes and bus gates one way systems it is now a total nightmare beyond any reasonable person wishing to try and negotiate there is one piece of road just adjacent to high st that resembles the Cheshire cats grin that you can get locked into without respite .

Aja

Visit site
Well it is only 1 km from George Square. Also accessible from Sheild's Road subway station, that is pretty central in my opinion.
West Street subway Station is less than 100 yards from Duncans.

I, however am old enough to remember Duncans when they were in West Nile Street, having been pushed out the car by Faither, who is double parked, and told to be quick.

Worked for a summer in Clyde Chandlers at 200 Great Western Road while deciding what to do with my life.

Donald

Aja

Visit site
Hi.

Steveeasy
@steveeasy, give McLean Tools a call

McLean Tools

they have a Marine section with a limited selection of ropes and warps. It's often overlooked and very handy for your trip being based in Cappielow industrial estate which is literally across the road from James Watt Dock Marina.

Donald