Chain counter doesn't detect sensor

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
My Lofrans 1200 Tigres windlass has a Nautilux chain counter, but I can't get it to detect the magnetic sensor on the gypsy. The chain counter can be plugged in at the windlass or at the helm position. It fires up OK when it's plugged in and has no problem operating the Up/Down of the windlass; batteries are fine. Had the chain counter wiring apart at the windlass, but all seems well, and there is definitely a signal generated when the magnet passes the sensor head.

At a loss what to look for next, and would appreciate any suggestions.

jon

Visit site
I have a similar problem with a Quick Aries which sometime miss counts. I zero it before paying out but on winding in it is rarely zero again. Assuming the chain does not jump on the gipsy, which given the installation I can rule out, I wondered if the chain was magnetised and affecting the sensor?! I did email Quick who could offer no explanation. You might try taking the chain off the gipsy, running it and counting the revolutions and doing the calculation. I did that and mine worked perfectly.

ITH

Winter in Kent, rest of the year on board
Visit site
Thanks Jon, but my problem is that the chain counter will not work at all, it simply gives the message "sensor not detected." That applies even when I took the chain off and ran the gypsy loose; so I guess magnetised chain isn't the problem?

Last edited: