Centrino

mikewilkes

Visit site
Any of you computer experts give me a run down on this "new" notebook idea please?
Before I go and spend some hard earned sheckles I would like to know if it is really worth the extra dosh.
Many thanks,
Mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

claudio

Visit site
Mike,

What do you intend using it for ?
Does it need to be portable?
Most notebooks don't live very long at sea, the design means that they are usually exposed to salt, condensation e.t.c.
Please contact me, PM initially, I might be able to help

Claudio

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Well, belatedly I can report..

The power management under Centrino is astonishing - I've now been running for 8 hours without a recharge on my new Centrino (it's no slouch, 1.7GHz, 512Mb RAM, 60 GB disk), and I still have some time left. The built in WiFi (802.11b) networking works well, and the bluetooth connection is up and running - what more can I say....

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
I'd be interested to know which laptop you bought. Do you find that the 512Mb is ample?

(Remembering my 8k Commodore Pet, I can't believe I just said that.)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

hylas

Visit site
As a liveabord, I've had several lap top computers on board.. not a "marinised" type, but the same that everybody can buy in any computer shop...

Yes I have changed them.. as they have become obsolete with time.. But I never had problem related to humidity or salt athmosphere..

But If I would have to change the one I have now.. I believe I will go for a "mini" PC working on 12 volts and one of those new "TFT" flat screen (also in 12 volts..)

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
Sorry for delay - I bought a Sony Z1, decent sized screen, fastish processor (1.7) and good disk.

My only gripes thus far are that the WiFi is fighting hard and doesnt want to talk properly to the home network, and I cant get my bluetooth phone to synchronize over bluetooth - but those are details at this stage, and I'm sure we will crack them...

As for RAM, 512 is plenty for me (including some ver big software development projects in bothe Delphi and VB)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
Funnily enough, that was the reason I was asking. I set up a Sony for a 'client' a couple of months ago and had lots of problems with Bluetooth until the suppliers took the adaptor back and gave a refund. 'Client' now wants WiFi and I was wandering if I would have same problems. I heard that XP Professional has extra wireless technology than XP Home so that could be a possible answer.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

qsiv

Visit site
Well - in order to get on with earning some money, I turned off the onboard 802.11, and went and bought a USB WiFi adapter (NetGear) that works just brilliantly - also has bonus of having an extension lead so it can be sited for best signal.

All working well now, and machine is beginning to earn its keep.

<hr width=100% size=1>