Central France - problems

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
You've probably seen the news reports.
A number of places are suffering from flooding, particularly in Loiret region (centred around Orleans and the River Loire) and along the Canal de Briare, especially at Montargis and Nemours. Also the Canal de Loing (continuation of the Briare northwards to the Upper Seine/Yonne) which runs alongside the River Loing, and the River Yonne where river levels and currents are very high.
There has been a breach in the C de Briare near Montbouy that's going to take quite some time to repair. Obviously the canal is completely closed at that point.
Une-breche-dans-la-digue.jpg < click to enlarge - pretty dramatic

We are in the port at Auxonne, by the Saone, which has plenty of water heading downstream but doesn't look so very bad.
If you're planning a through passage on the waterways PM me for advice.

Last edited:

Mrnotming

Visit site
Hi Grehan,
It seems very bad in France and Germany, and something about the river Loing in France bursting its banks.Das Erste the German TV channel has many distressing scenes of liquid mud invading basements and services ducts.
I hope those who hope to make a passage via the Marne or any other routes have a bit of luck.
It must be terrible to have to perhaps abandon their plans for weeks whilst levels subside.
I'm sure any further info you come by will be found most useful to those in transit of VNF's system and indeed other countries waterways, Dutch and German for instance.
Thanks for the heads up!