Cautionary YouTube vid……..teak deck and soggy balsa core

Wansworth

Visit site
Later video show removal of balsa sandwich……..quite a few yacts have this type of construction and I must admit to fear of being unlucky buying an old boat and finding this problem

tillergirl

Visit site
Been there, done it. Except with a 'proper' teak deck (i.e. a teak deck on a wooden boat - 1" teak). I went through the same process of thinking through how to left the deck and save the teak. I found it impossible to practically remove the fasteners - the problem with the deck was the fasteners - steel slotted screws - no, not galvanised. You can hear the builder telling the original owner that the deck would outlive him and it did but..... I eastimated, given that I had a day job, it would take me three and a half years to lift the deck. And I found it was unlikely that the teak could have much reusable. So I junk the teak, replaced a few half beams, part of the starboard beam shelf so nothing like the problem that the chap has with the soggy balsa core.

I decided that a good high quality marine ply and glass was the answer for the replacement. It brought a new life to Tiller Girl.

Good video. Good luck to the chappie.

Wansworth

Visit site
Been there, done it. Except with a 'proper' teak deck (i.e. a teak deck on a wooden boat - 1" teak). I went through the same process of thinking through how to left the deck and save the teak. I found it impossible to practically remove the fasteners - the problem with the deck was the fasteners - steel slotted screws - no, not galvanised. You can hear the builder telling the original owner that the deck would outlive him and it did but..... I eastimated, given that I had a day job, it would take me three and a half years to lift the deck. And I found it was unlikely that the teak could have much reusable. So I junk the teak, replaced a few half beams, part of the starboard beam shelf so nothing like the problem that the chap has with the soggy balsa core.

I decided that a good high quality marine ply and glass was the answer for the replacement. It brought a new life to Tiller Girl.

Good video. Good luck to the chappie.
And much more ridged deck

Steve_N

Visit site
I love that semi-trailer used to transport the boat in episode E001: able to pick up and put down a 45' keelboat on its own with no need for travel hoist or crane. Superb bit of kit.

shanemax

Visit site
I don't know what is worse. Watching your wife give birth of watching your boat being lifted into the water by crane.