Cat litters

timentide

Visit site
I recall some time last winter a post on this forum suggesting using cat litter, or rather the contents of the bag, as an absorbant in those little box type dehumidifiers that can be used on boats to help keep the dampness down in winter. I have tried filling three on the boat without success. Was the previous post a wind-up or does it work?

Rabbie

Visit site
As someone said on a previous thread, unless your boat is virtually sealed up tight, using these 'de-humidifiers' is like de-humidifying the earths atmosphere!. Cat litter? I think not.

Gordonmc

Visit site
I use it for absorbing the gunge in the engine drip-tray. Just throw a few handfulls in, shovel up whenever. A lot cleaner than using rags etc. and cheaper than the blanket thingies.

boomer

N/A
Visit site
Dont knock the simple remedies, however improbable they seem.

When we had a smaller boat, we used to put a bowl (cereal bowl size)of ordinary cooking salt in each cabin during the Winter. After a month, up to an inch of water would be found in each bowl. Empty out, dry the dish, replenish the salt and start again. Effective and cheap. We never had a trace of mildew or condensation and the cost for a 35 footer was about £5 a year!!