Cash or debit card in the Carribeans?

H35

Visit site
Those of you who have been around. How do you manage your money on a long trip, for intance in the Carribeans? I suppose there aren't cash machines readily available on remote islands around the world...

geem

Visit site
Those of you who have been around. How do you manage your money on a long trip, for intance in the Carribeans? I suppose there aren't cash machines readily available on remote islands around the world...

We take US dollars in cash, Euros in cash and use cash machines. There are lots of cash machines in the Caribbean

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Come on, the £'s not that bad, I heard a rumour that it'd recently gained a couple of cents againts the Matabelan Gumbo Bead and if you start to get too depressed about your shrinking cruising budget, find a few South Africans to discuss it with, they really do know about falling currency value.
Back to the OP, we've found ATMs most everywhere plus carry £, US$ & €uros; don't let your cash level drop too low just in case you do get any hiccoughs with the ATMs or your own cards. The only place we've been for which you really do need cash-in-hand was Cuba; you can get cash from their banks on your debit/credit card, but its a slow (think several hours, not minutes) process; also have £/€ to exchange there, because I believe, the Cuban's are still applying a 10% levy/penalty on US$.
Final Tip: Most of the Caribbean is directly or inderectly a US$ economy, so if (miracles do happen) the £ ever does get strong against the $ again, it's worth loading up on US$ cash to exchange later.

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
ATMs everywhere in the Carib. Do not expect them to work everyday with every card [ although recently this has improved ] I have a Visa and a Mastercard from different banks one usually works.

Regardless of the official currency almost everybody will take US $ PROVIDING THEY ARE SMALL BILLS MAX $ 20.

Don't take travelers cheques. Even American Express travelers cheques are getting harder to cash.

phanakapan

Visit site
just a quick added note, I took a second too long taking my cash from a machine in Grenada, and it SUCKED it all back in again! Anti theft apparently. Had to wait till the end of the day when the bank staff had counted the money in the machine to get it back. Delayed my next leg by a day and got hit by some quite nasty winds☹️

temptress

gbr195t.com
Those of you who have been around. How do you manage your money on a long trip, for instance in the Caribbeans? I suppose there aren't cash machines readily available on remote islands around the world...

We found Cash machines/ATMs available across the Caribbean, Australia, Indonesia and SE Asia. Even the in the Pacific Islands were not a problem. Just have more than one card as sometimes your bank block the card for you without telling you. The most difficult place we found to get cash was Turkey, mind you that might have change din the last 10 years or so.

blenkinsop

Visit site
One caution if you change countries frequently, even if you have told your bank, their computer system may automatically suspend a card due to 'unusual spending patterns'.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>Regardless of the official currency almost everybody will take US $ PROVIDING THEY ARE SMALL BILLS MAX $ 20.

That's what we found they prefer dollars to any other currency including their own.

geem

Visit site
>Regardless of the official currency almost everybody will take US $ PROVIDING THEY ARE SMALL BILLS MAX $ 20.

That's what we found they prefer dollars to any other currency including their own.
We found you usually get stung on the exchange rate if you don't use the local currency