Carter30 water under sole

melbournekeith

Visit site
I have just taken over a Carter 30 that had some rot in the cabin sole. On removal of the floor I could see that the floor beams trapped water which came through the mast boot. There does not appear to be any holes for water drainage through the beams. Does anyone with this yacht have this problem/solution/comment? The boat has a sump just behind the mast with a bilge pump, but water from the mast area cannot get to it. The heads floor is also not able to drain to the sump. I'm reluctant to drill holes through the beams which in any case is difficult because clearance between beams is only 80 - 100mm Thanks for any input.

<hr width=100% size=1>

woody001

Visit site
What's your boat name????
Just that i have had a carter 30, just wondered if you have it!

Sail great dont they?

<hr width=100% size=1>

woody001

Visit site
On my carter there was holes availible for drainage, triangle shape?
You not got them?

<hr width=100% size=1>

melbournekeith

Visit site
Thanks for your reply my boats name is Houdini, she is in Australia and they do sail well, turning very sharply. Were the drainage holes you remember in the floor beams? central? about what size?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ocean Hound

Visit site
Great boat - had one for 10 years. But the problem you mention is an inherent design fault due to the thru deck mast. If the string is rotten, you will have to replace all/part of it and then ensure that any moisture forward of the string.i.e. the foot of the mast drains into the sump and then have some system for auto drain of the sump otherwise it wiil happen again

<hr width=100% size=1>