carter 33

woody001

Visit site
Had a carter 30, couldnt recommend it enough.

There's a guy on here call magnacarter who has a 33, i bet he will let u know!

FullCircle

Visit site
Can echo sentiments of MagnaCarter - its secondary use is as a Civil Defence Shelter in case of Nuclear Holocaust. Also well thought out below, for a racing boat that is.
Looks 'right' too, on the water, and seems to lick on at a fair rate.

wizard

Visit site
Did my coastal skipper in one of these with Southern Sailing many moons ago. The boat just bashed through everything the Solent and Channel threw at it.

Very, very solid boat.

beserk

Visit site
Thank's for replys only snag is engine is only 10 hp volvo with saildrive which seems too small to me, wonder if new bigger engine will fit samedrive? Any thoughts?

woody001

Visit site
We used to have an old md7a? on ours...was quite weak, but i blame that on the 2 bladed folding prop.
10hp with a fixed prop may not be 2 bad?

Can u get a test sail?

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Hello.....

Guess I was bound to put in an appearance on this one....

V similar to my Carter 3/4 tonner in shape.... just slightly less beamy (0.3m to be precise), identical layout down below...... in fact, as Sailorman said above, really more like a scaled up Carter 30....

As has been said above, the boat is bullet proof...... upto 1 1/2 Inches thick in places....... its one of the few boats that I have sailed that I would trust in a REAL blow..... goes through anything.... and fun to sail too.....

As for the engine... mine has 19hp on a shaft, and that will push it along at 6kts without too much trouble, and I suspect its well below the rated power... 10hp is maybe a weeny bit small, although not desperately so.... but when a boat is so much fun to sail, why worry about the engine?

In terms of things to look out for.... if its got a keel stepped mast, check the gasket around the coachroof carefully for leaks... otherwise nothing that you wouldn't check on any boat of that age....

NealB

Visit site
I brought a Greek built one to the UK from Rhodes about 5 years ago.

It had a MD7b which pushed it along in fine style.

Watch for delamination of the foam-cored deck.

The rudder design is attractive to look at, but I didn't like the way it was engineered, with two shafts mating just inside the hull. Several 33s I've seen have a bit of play at that join.

Otherwise, they are good looking seaboats, very easily handled by two, and quite happy when it gets rough.

Signed Out

Visit site
It's a good looking boat, I'll say, having seen one or 2 about (inc MC), rather similar hull to the Sadler 32 perhaps. A couple of you refer to the accom being a good layout; os it not the traditional (almost exclusive in this size/age) v-forward, walkthrough head, 2 settees (with possible outboard pilots), then galley to port, chart/quarter to stbd? (There must be an abbreviation for all that).

And MC, didn't you mention some issue wit the rudder somewhere, or was that in jest?

Jem.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
The layout is just as you describe, other than the galley and quarter berth are reversed.... it has pilot berths, which make great sea berths.... so can sleep 7... its big advantage is that the hull shape allows the pilot berths to be well out of the way, along with a decent amount of space between the saloon berths, yet still leave loads of storage space, and standing headroom pretty much throughout....

No issue with the rudder that I am aware of....