Cartagena and Torrevieja - update March 2007

A

Anonymous

A yacht has just arrived from wintering in Torrevieja and reports that work progresses on the new (third) marina. During the winter a Finnish yacht anchored apparently unmolested but the tender parking area, just up the little canal, now has inflatables permanently moored alongside the wall and the fence has been repaired (yet again) making it impossible to land there. The informant says that a beach landing seems the only way - which is hardly acceptable for any length of time in the summer.

Cartagena - the previously empty marina area by the fuel berth is now operating as a marina in no way associated with the other (Yacht Club) marina. It had previously been designated in pilots as reserved for super yachts. We believe it should be quieter and safer - don't know about prices. In answer to my question "next time you arrive in Cartagena will you steer to port to enter the old marina or to starboard for the new one?" the answer, without hesitation, was the new one - though note that they had been put alongside the town wharf in the old marina and that is a terrible spot for several reasons, as regulars will know!

davidbains

Visit site
though note that they had been put alongside the town wharf in the old marina and that is a terrible spot for several reasons, as regulars will know!

Do tell us why!

A

Anonymous

The construction is decking that is built out from and below the harbour wall a considerable distance - the deck level is quite high and there is a risk of getting your gunwales trapped under either the deck or the widely-spaced vertical fender strakes (if that's the right term) that are attached to the deck. The strakes are too far apart and don't go down far enough so again some yachts can get their gunwales trapped. Most people have to lash up some arrangement of fenders to be safe, and it is not always satisfactory, especially in strong southerlies.

Because of this design, it is sometimes difficult or impossible to spring off which is a problem in southerlies.

Because of the design of the marina, the wharf is exposed to the wash from the numerous pilot boats that come and go....some are considerate and some are not. You are quite well protected in the main body of the marina but not along the southern wall or the (northern) wharf.

The wharf is a favourite walk for the locals - which is nice and adds to the colour - but there is a security issue and a noise issue after about 10pm when the local kids have competitions to see who can make the loudest bang when jumping from the stone harbour wall down onto the decking below (1.5m drop!).

On the positive side, the wharf is much closer to the town and I have been able to get WiFi by chatting up the port authority who were running a pilot scheme last May (thought it was not working in September when we passed back).

To redress the balance of an otherwise negative post...Cartagena is an excellent stop and one of the few places we are prepared to pay for a marina. The Roman ruins are not extensive but they are very interesting not for the 'wow' factor but when viewed in the context of the history of that part of the world - the young Julius, etc.

Cartagena is a major naval port and there is a submarine exercise area to the south. Last May I was sailing (under sail) about 10nm south and was called on Ch16 by a submarine who, in a very Russian-sounding voice (like Chekhov in Star Trek) asked me to alter course 180 "if you would be so kind as we are carrying out an exercise with a trawler and you are very close to us". He gave his position and I was able to see his periscope about a cable to the north. Later that evening, the sub came back into Catagena playing military music from a deck speaker (reminded me of Oddball in Kelly's Heroes), which all Spanish warships seem to do on returning to base. Great fun!

castlevar

Visit site
Hi Lemain
With reference to Cartagena we are in turkey at the moment and wish to return to the western med. We had thought of almerimar but it is difficult to fly to belfast because we are unable to fly direct must go through london.
However if we were able to get a suitable berth inCartagena we could get a direct flight from Belfast all year to Murcia.
Have you any contact E mails or phone numbers?

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
RE: Cartagena. We stayed in the Super Yacht Basin last season (June 06). Very helpful and friendly staff. Costs were good at €13.89pn for our 35ft boat - YC Marina was about €17pn. More details of facilities etc in the basin can be found on our website in the port reports section Here.

Cheers

Wayne

A

Anonymous

I'm PM-ing my private email and local Spanish phone number. Easy Jet fly Malaga to Belfast and plenty of folk here in Almerimar use Malaga as their airport. It is a bit further than Almeria but it is very do-able. It is much cooler up in Cartagena in the winter and you'd want to check with others what the conditions are like long-term, I think. It's one thing to leave your boat and quite another to live aboard. The walk to the supermarket is much further in Cartagena, for a start, however everything is walkable whereas in Almerimar you need to take a bus (of cadge a lift which is not a problem) to get to the nearest proper town. I don't know what the liveaboard community is like in Cartagena, it is very good here. Also, we have an excellent Mercadona - the 'Waitrose' of Spain. There are lots of nay-sayers but when you balance everything, Almerimar takes a lot of beating. Do give me a ring, or discuss off-forum by email and let me know if the PM system lets us down, as I shall be sending you one in a few minutes! - David

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Hi castlevar

The email address for Yacht Port Cartagena Marina (the Super Yacht basin in Cartagena) is marina@yachtportcartagena.com - their website is www.yachtportcartagena.com. The staff are very friendly and helpful, speak good English and they also have an English Marinero. You don't have to be a Super Yacht to be there (our boat is 35ft) - we met a few smaller boats that now based themselves in Yacht Port Cartagena as its cheeper than the YC.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Wayne

A

Anonymous

Brilliant website and excellent photography! Where we have experienced the same harbours our views are identical to yours. Your website is so nicely presented I feel motivated to do one for myself though it looks as though a pro did yours for you?

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Hi Lemain

Many Thx for the kind words about the website. Its nice to know people like it as it does take up a lot of our time to build and update.

BTW we have a few friends overwintering in Almerimar - 'Yangshou' and 'Alegria' - If you know them please say Hi from us!

Cheers

Wayne

A

Anonymous

Hi Wayne, we know Dave and Janet on Alegria very well, will say hi to them later when the present F8/9 drops back!

Richard10002

Visit site
Ditto Davids' comments re your website. I'm heading for Malta to overwinter this year, probably arriving late August, and am watching your experiences with anticipation. I also scuba dive, so am looking froward to what is said to be the best in The Med - but whatever you have seen in Malta and Gozo, you will be "blown away" if you get to Egypt, (Red Sea).

Cheers

Richard

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Thx Richard, also for the kind words. We are planning on adding a section to the website soon about wintering in Malta - there is so much to say its hard to get started! Do you have time presures that you have to arrive August? Getting a winter berth before mid October in Malta is difficult - None will commit until after the Rolex Middle Sea Race has been held (mid Oct) and the local boats start lifting out. If you can, early November would be a better time to arrive, otherwise you may have to pay for an expensive berth at one of the newer private Marinas until a winter berth becomes free - Anyway, as I mentioned we will try and put all this info/detail of marinas into some decent shape and publish on the site.

The Diving in Malta/Gozo has been great - vis is so clear! lots of varied sites/wrecks to keep you occupied during winter. We plan to sail in the northern Red Sea 2008 and maybe overwinter at Abu Tig Marina so we can spend another winter diving - which will be fantastic to be diving in the Red Sea for 6 months!!!! Just got to watch the political situation I guess.

Cheers - Wayne

Richard10002

Visit site
Not sure if this should be a new thread? I have to be in Sicily on August 5th to drop off the crew who are helping me get from Minorca to Scicily, so I can either spend August/September in Sicily, or in Malta, or would you suggest anywhere else.

Red Sea for 6 months would be a dream!

wayneA

www.hitrapia.co.uk
Yeah, Sorry Richard, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

If you are in the area at that time I personally would not rush and enjoy Sicily and the Aeolian Islands for a while and then think about hangin out on Gozo untill berthing frees up in Malta. The marina at Mgarr, Gozo, is owned by the same harbour authority that runs Msida (goverment owned at present so cheapest on Island) - they will be able to advise/help you get a berth at Msida when one becomes free as you can't reserve a berth, its on a strict 'first come - first berthed' basis. Problem with Mgarr is that in some wind conditions (such as fresh/strong SE) it is not very sheltered and a big surge can build up - you will have to keep an eye on the weather, but the beautiful anchorage just outside the marina at the 'Blue Lagoon' on the Island of Camino is perfect shelter in these conditions. In fact Gozo has a number of great anchorages for those calmer nights, most of which are also close to great dive sites - which is another good reason to hang about in Gozo for a while. The water temp will be about 24/25degC in Aug/Sept.

If Gozo 'don't do it for ya' then Tunisia is also a place people disappear to while waiting for a berth in Malta - but from what I've heard Tunisia is a place you either like or you don't and not everyones cup of tea. We haven't been ourselves so can't really comment.

You maybe able to get a berth at Grand Harbour Marina but you really don't want to be in there. Not only is it expensive, with winds from the E quarters a surge builds up and the marina's location is also well away from all the action - without a car it would become a real pain, although the veiw of Valletta from the Marina is spectacular - but cruisers cannot survive on vistas alone! Manoel Island Marina is currently also full. We had to take a berth here in a very dodge bows-to position on the wall while waiting for a berth in Msida when we arrived mid Sept and paid €32pn plus water/elec for the pleasure. Portomaso Marina is a very Posh private marina within the grounds of the Hilton complex, also expensive and not the type of place you can hang your washing out on the boat if you know what I mean - may get a berth there?

Hope this helps - feel free to email me if you'd like more info (Can find email add on our website)

Cheers

Wayne

Richard10002

Visit site
I thought it was me that had done the hijacking <g>

I'll be watching your web site and will definitely be in touch.

Back to Cartagena and Torrevieja - which is equally useful and interesting.

Richard