Caribbean charter ( probably Antigua), January 2023, any recommended companies to consider?

BobsFolly

Visit site
Hello all,

title says it all really. In the final stages of committing to a 1 week charter in January 2023. Leaning heavily towards Antigua due ease of access from our location. Has anyone any good or, even better, bad(!) experiences in the last few years with any of the charter companies that they would or would not recommend? 3 blokes with no other halves travelling, so vessel size isn't critical once its above 36ft-ish. Most companies only seem to have 40+ft vessels anyway.

Also, any must-see spots would be appreciated, first time sailing out that direction. Barbuda looks like it would be worth the trip.

Thanks

Bob

wonkywinch

Visit site

nibj

Visit site
We cruised with Moorings last spring. Boat AC failed but otherwise Moorings was good (and we were comfortable enough). English harbor and Falmouth are very much worth visiting (and we enjoyed the party on Shirley Heights). Green Island is so pretty and we had a great sail to Barbuda (seeing whales). I wish we had stayed 2 nights at Barbuda visited Codrington etc.

We spent a pleasant afternoon at the Royalton Resort that allowed us to buy an all day pass. We found people friendly and had a great time. But of course one visit doesn’t make me an expert.

scottie

Visit site
Having done both Antiqua and BVI some 12 years ago my information on companies would be outdated but my tuppenceworth is that the BVI are probably a better sailing area as you are not just sailing round one or two islands but you have more variety in the BVI but the logistics of getting there were more involved and we were glad that we had increased our time to 10 days but both were to me lifetime’s experiences and had intended to return until health issues
Getting out to Barbuda did not work out for but English harbour Nelsons Dockyard and Shirley hights all were magnificent

Yes I would jump at chance of going back to either
We went at the end of November and it was warm at night and space was a luxury
There are some long seas so boat size is an advantage
Enjoy it

BobsFolly

Visit site
Thanks all, for logistical reasons we have booked a Sunsail charter in Antigua.
Hopefully make the BVI's work the next time.
Thanks for the above tips, we're not averse to a few long passages if the weather cooperates for Barbuda, otherwise we'll perhaps attempt a lap of Antigua .

Bob.

nibj

Visit site
Its easy to lap Antigua. Go to Green Island, then Barbuda and return from Barbuda to the west side (weather permitting). We found the passage from English Harbor to Green Island very rough!

scottie

Visit site
From memory the north side close in is very shallow and not a pleasant place to sail
There are a couple of excellent guide books well worth having for you planning

BobsFolly

Visit site