Caribbean 600

Tomaret

Visit site
I’m thinking about participating in the Caribbean 600 in February next year.

I’d be grateful for any advice that can be offered on finding a place on a yacht. I’m happy to pay and to join a commercially operated yacht but I don’t want to be one of too many crew who spend the whole watch sat on the rail and I’m not prepared to hot bunk, but that apart I’m easily satisfied.

I’ll be 62 in February 2020 and haven’t raced (other than taking my own boat round the IOW at the back of the fleet a few times) for 22 years. I have done two trans Atlantic crossings as watch leader and hold Day Skipper and various other RYA certificates.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Mark

Halo

Visit site
I did the Carib 600 last year. There is a fair bit to say - p.m. me with a phone number and I will call you.

sails_02

Visit site
@Halo a summary would be interesting, although if nothing in addition to your previous posts on the topic then don't worry :)

(A comparison to Fastnet would be interesting if you've done both..)

Halo

Visit site
My previous post says 99% of my general comments.
I think most Carb600s will be harder than most Fasnets. If there are gale conditions the Fastnet is toughest - especially beating to wind ! However the Carib 600 renders many boats and crew unable to finish.
The OP wanted advice on a berth on a commercial boat. I was aware of two commercial operators and both featured hot bunking - 4 hours on 4 hours off. In one case they allowed folk to stay aboard when in dock , in the other they did not. My strong recommendation would be to get shore accomodation for when not at sea even if there is an option to stay onboard.
The Carib 600 is a totaly different experience to anything else I have done and I would recommend it as awell organised , safe and challenging experience.
Just booked a place on the ARC 2019 and will be studying earlier posts. If you have anything to add to these please do !!

Laser310

Visit site
The C600 is a fantastic race, and should be on "to-do" list of anyone who enjoys ocean racing.

Before doing the C-600, I already had reasonable amount of off-shore experience including numerous ocean races and long deliveries, including 3 trans-atlantics. I had also done several Caribbean round-the-buoys regattas, so I knew generally what sailing there is like.

Nevertheless, i was a bit surprised - It is easy to imagine the C-600 as an extended coastal sail around beautiful islands in benign trade wind conditions..., and perhaps sometimes it is.

Actually.., the C-600 should be regarded as a _real_ ocean race.., for which one should prepare accordingly. This advice applies to everything from the choice of yacht, to crew selection.., to personal gear.

One other thing..; as a navigator, I can say that while it is a tremendously interesting race to navigate.., it is also tough. With so much going on.., there is not much opportunity for the navigator to sleep. The advice above about not sleeping on the yacht prior to the race applies doubly for the navigator. I had a nice room, by myself, and began the race well rested.

RORC does a great job with this event, and i would say it is probably one of the most fun races anywhere.