Cardiff to Dartmouth.

Allan

Visit site
I am planning to head for France with friends from Dartmouth on 2nd July. I hope to leave Cardiff Friday 26th June. I will need to pick up SWMBO at Ilfracombe or Instow and leave early on Saturday. I normally passage plan at 5kts. I've done this trip the other way before and don't have any tide times or charts here at home. Any comments/ideas would be welcome.
Allan

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
I suggest Ilfracombe would be a lot better than the Torridge - no detour, non-tidal if you pick up from the ferry quay, and definitely a lot better in west/south-west winds.

Reeds is good for passage-planning around lanzend.

wotayottie

Visit site
usually go cardiff / combe/padstow/penzance / falmouth / dartmouth . or if you are feeling hardcore then cardiff / combe / dartmouth. usually best to avoid night sails unless there is wind for sailing - too many pots off north cornwall for comfortable motoring at night. use the inshore passage round lands end where tide turns earlier than outside the longships.

pretty straightforward really. mind you if you do get a weather system coming through that makes lands end dodgy, then your 2 days spare might not be enough. if I had a pound for every time I've been stuck in padstow for a week or more ..............

Allan

Visit site
Yes I would agree with that but if I could get around there on Friday it would cut the time to Lands End. Also I like the Boathouse at Instow for meal on the Friday. Do you know of anywhere on the web I can find relevent tide times?
Allan

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Why the name change Allan? Isn't that supposed to be bad luck or something!

[/ QUOTE ]
Depends if the law is after you. What was he called before then? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Other threads that may be of interest