Carbon build up in Yanmar 1gm10

ben_m

Visit site
Well that was easy. It came out easily, courtesy of a softwood punch and a light tap from a hammer. That's a relief. Now I've taken the thermostat cover off and the thermostat seems to be stuck in there. Any hints for removing that? I presumably don't want to lever it out or it'll not work again!

Thanks for all the advice

Last edited:

ben_m

Visit site
Well I bit the bullet and bought a new head and elbow. It's now on and starts and runs like a dream! Thanks, everyone for your help! We got more speed yesterday than ever before and no gubnk or smoke from exhaust.

One thing, though - after starting, the revs slow for about 10-20 seconds, and throttle has no effect, until it builds up speed again - after that it's fine. Any ideas what that might be? could it be a fuel problem or is it just the alternator loading up?

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
One thing, though - after starting, the revs slow for about 10-20 seconds, and throttle has no effect, until it builds up speed again - after that it's fine. Any ideas what that might be? could it be a fuel problem or is it just the alternator loading up?

Temporary rich running, I expect, as it has to burn off the fuel which was squirted in before it started. Throttling back may help.