car moored in the thames

No Regrets

Visit site
Thats because they are....yes! Citroens!!

Aygo is a nasty cheap Citroen/ Peugeot with new badges.

Careful what you buy people, even Nissan are trying to flog you Renaults :(

No Regrets

Visit site
Yes, but both are dedicated handbrakes, not anything to do with the footbrakes!

My A Class has all-round discs, yet a drum parking brake, and our CLK has the famous foot operated parking brake!

Both are Auto's, so don't need a parking brake. It's only there as a legal requirement as a backup to failed footbrakes...

teddington_lock

Visit site
Yes , our one saved us.

We were waiting for the roundabout , and a kid rear ended us at 40mph ( he was texting and didn't notice we had stopped ) , smashed us into the car in front , and that into the car in front of that , we all ended up on the roundabout.

I managed to drive the car to the garage afterwards , after jumping on the bonnet and tying it shut with a shoelace ! Was toast though. :(

Poor old bus. Got a new one with the insurance money though. V8 this time ;)

ADLS

Visit site
My CLK has handbrake shoes , my wifes A class has handbrake shoes.

My Ford Escape SUV has discs all round "not square ones" and drum hand brake.

Came upon a Bedford TK truck on a hill back in the dark ages of the 60s, the driver was waving like mad. He had sheared a half shaft so couldn't hold the truck on his gears, the hand brake worked on the prop shaft, this wouldn't hold because of the broken half shaft. So he just had to wait with his foot on the brake till someone came along and stopped. Luckily he had stop chogs for wheel changing, put them behind his wheels and one releaved driver got out of his cab.

Last edited:

plumbob

Visit site
My 1916 Tasker chain drive steam tractor had 6 wood blocks on a steel band which rubbed against the fly wheel. The "hand brake" was more wood on a band round the axle. 40 turns of a hand wheel to apply. best hand brake we had was a 12" block of oak.............that did it !