Captain Calamitys

snowleopard

Visit site
I'm sure there must have been a thread about this but I don't see it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-35357137

And it's never their fault?!

Engine won't start? Flat battery? Send for a lifeboat. (What are those flappy things for?)

The bottom keeps coming up and bumping the bottom of my boat? Send for a lifeboat.

Anchoring a keelboat in a drying harbour, surprised when the locals tell you your boat will fall over later?

Darwin have mercy.

Visit site
They're both in their 70s as I understand it, and one of them is an ex-helicopter pilot with military service. They've survived all life's crises so far, so maybe - just maybe - they're getting something right.

There's the whiff that they are 'old fools'. Try telling that to Sir RKJ! Or, if he was still around, that outrageous OAP Sir Francis Chichester.

And they're exercising the freedom to 'do their own thing, their way'. Respect!

Babylon

Visit site
This is the clearest demonstration that a vessel needs one skipper only, and a first mate to keep him in check! Maybe they should reverse roles?

GHA

Visit site
Maybe a bit more respect once they figure out tides...

_87938442_87938441.jpg

snowleopard

Visit site
Try telling that to Sir RKJ! Or, if he was still around, that outrageous OAP Sir Francis Chichester.

RKJ was shown declaring them to be selfish and irresponsible on this evening's news. They have had 2 more rescues since I started this thread. They dismiss any suggestion that rescuing them costs money or risks lives. They also dismiss the suggestion that their knowledge of seamanship was in any way lacking. They even managed to smash some gear while being interviewed.

Visit site
Good evening, they seem to be wantonly battering a nice looking yacht, does anybody here know what she is? Certainly looks like Colin Archer type, with a hideous dogbox tacked on top.

Last edited:

bigwow

Visit site
With the current forecast I presume there will be no more adventures for the next few days:encouragement:

Nikia

Visit site
Seen them interviewed a couple of times now, on local TV and now bbc news.
One comes across as an idiot and the other supremely arrogant.
Their incompetence has got so bad that I can't help wondering if it's all deliberate to get publicity pending a book /film ?
Or am I just getting cynical with age!

Kelpie

Visit site
Come along now! The news wouldn't be complete without tales of Captain Calamities, naughty vicars etc. It's one of the traditions of the British press.

[pedant]
I believe the correct term may actually be Captains Calamity
[/pedant]

teredo

Visit site
They are from over the pond, perhaps things are different there.

If you said that about Africans or Asians you'd be buried in a mountain of furious racist-hate accusations and probably banned from the forum for your crime.

What makes you think you can say this about people from"over the pond" and not show yourself as a vile racist bigot who should be banned? Just how is it different? Please do explain, I'm curious.