Canvas hoods and mildew

PEJ

Visit site
I had bad algae growth on UV strip , dodgers , spray hood and even in a laminated sail. All were treated liberally with neat patio magic and left to be rinsed off by the next rain storm.
There is no sign of degredation of stitching or materials and I am reassured that Patio Magic has a algacide as an active ingredient (NO BLEACH )which has prevented recurring discolouring for nearly 12 months now.
It is also very effective in eliminating algae build up under toe rails and in the nooks and crevices that a brush cant reach.

It will do nothing for Black Spotted Mildew.

Patio Magic is 75% water. But that is so that the algicide is not too concentrated when you apply it.

No none of these algicides will touch black spot mildew - only sodium hypochlorite (bleach) will kill that.

RIN

Visit site
I heard about the use of Patio Magic on canopies some months ago from some boaty friends. We are currently boatless so I can't personally comment on how effective it is on canvas. But I have sprayed a a dilution (six parts water) onto our algae ridden fences and shed and within days the green has gone.

SC500

Visit site
I ues STARBRITES Boat Cover Cleaner. Wet the surface and spray cleaner over hood area about 1m2 at a time, brush in and the green stuff just lifts off. Then rinse with hose water. I always let dry to see if any areas are missed, then do again where necessary. When clean I always apply FABSIl by brushing into surface. When dry it looks near new and is water repellant. Not cheap for cleaner, about £15 a bottle, but does work, protects the stitching by removing algae which is otherwise difficult to remove from these areas. Wouldn't use anything else and is pretty quick. For the window areas I use HG Window cleaner. I find it best to wash window areas to remove surface dirt, then apply window cleaner neat to surface, wipe with a damp cloth then rub dry. Amazing how much ingrained dirt comes off and windows look really clean, the cleaner not being abrasive. Always pleased with this method and is alway commented on when boating friends arrive. My cockpit covers are 5 years old and hopefully will last another 5.

targa31

Visit site
I had a jb canopy and jim advised leaving it on the boat and jet washing with a normal domestic jet wash. No chemicals required.

SC500

Visit site
Have jet washed before and learnt a lesson. Pressure washing stresses the stitching even with domestic washers with resultant leaks. Not for me, but each to their own. Using a cleaning agent generally incorporates a solution to kill the growth and acts as a preervative giving future protection. Far as I recall Starbrite products can be washed into marinas without issue or risk of pollution.

Stork_III

Visit site

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Borocol 10RH contains Disodium octaborate tetrahydrate and Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride. Both are algicides, well a fungicide and an algicide strictly speaking.

http://www.biokilcrown.co.uk/csi/1540096/f/pdf/boracol_10rh_msds1.pdf

Bleach is Sodium Hypochlorite so be careful if the ingredients include that. (Borocol 10RH doesn't.)

I have seen someone recommending this product: http://www.algonorganics.co.uk/

But as far as I can tell it is 18% Ethanoic Acid to be diluted to 4.5%. That would probably zap your algae though!

I'm probably the one recommending Algon. I've used it for years, inexpensive and very effective.

adebabes

Visit site
I have some Boracol 10RH for the teak decks. I was thinking about using it on the canvas sprayhood. Does anyone know if this can go on undiluted?

Bandit

Visit site
I use it neat on the screen covers and fly covers as well as the soft top car.

I would not pressure wash any of the above.