cant dicide???

manish

Visit site
i have hit a bit of a dilema. i cant decide what to get for my first boat a folk boat or a corribee. i have looked into the pros and cons of both but still cant come to a decision. i would be doing almost all my sailing on the west cost of scotland with the odd trip up to the hebridees with her indoors. any help and advice would go down very well. i have also posted in the regular forum. many thanks guys (and girls). /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

srp

Visit site
In view of where you will be sailing, I would have to admit that a Folkboat would be more suitable* - both are wet boats in a bit of rough, but the Folkboat, being that bit bigger, will be slightly less so. I think you'll be hard pushed to get one in really good condition for the budget you mentioned in the other forum, and there a few neglected clinker ones that are best avoided unless you like restoration rather than sailing.
I'm fairly sure the Corribee's designer had a picture of a Folkboat on his office wall when he got his drawing board out, especially when you look at the original clinker Corribee. So did several other designers, esp the Contessa 26. All of them are seaworthy, comfortable (if a little wet) in a chop and have little or no headroom.

* I'm thinking of your other half here - extra room below, also you won't be worried by the extra draft / lack of bilge keels option

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
Hi Manish
I think for that much money you should go for a Corribee. You need to pay £5-6k for a wooden Folkboat in reasonable condition. Bear in mind that any boat that's for sale around that sort of price is likely to need a bit of a refit anyway. I have just been making a rough plan for Border Maid's (1948 clinker Folkboat) winter maintenance programme and most of the jobs would need to be done on any boat, plastic or wooden.

A Corribee is very small for 2 people for more than a weekend. If you are worried by the thought of a wooden boat save for a bit longer and buy a Contessa 26/Folksong/Invicta or whatever would be my advice.

Peterduck

Visit site
I'm afraid that the truth is that if you are shy of work, then don't buy a boat of any kind. They all need work in prodigious amounts, and BOAT stands for Bring On Another Thousand [pounds]. You would spend more time and money fixing up a "bargain" than if you saved up more to begin with and bought a better boat.
Peter.

grumpydog

Visit site
I have sailed a Folkboat and found it possibly the most enjoyable sail ever. You feel as though you are in total control, like you are in a dinghy, except it's a bit slower, you can cross the Atlantic in it, and it has a cabin. I dream of FBs, seriously. But everyone knows FBs are good. I am going to recommend a boat I have never sailed (but have had a good snoop around)! The Stella, a Kim Holman designof the late 50s, is FB-based, but a tiny bit larger, better headroom (and general room) below, very pretty (not quite as pretty as an FB IMHO), more comfortable - and faster! Perhaps it's the thinking man's FB? There are quite a few arouund for between 5 and 10 thou. Downsides? Ageing clinker construction, and it's wood (Christ - did I just say that?! I've been having guilty GRP daydreams today!). Fuel for thought perhaps... They also do FBs in GRP, but I think they are quite pricey even secondhand.

Other threads that may be of interest