Canopies & Dodgers

Varne850

Visit site
I'm having a nightmare!!
My canopy and dodgers (which are canvas) have an unbelievable amount of mould on them. I tries last weekend to scrub them first with "Cif with bleach" then "mould and mildew remover", lastly plain salt water to no avail. my hubby says I'm not putting enough elbow grease into it and has threatend to lash to the mast until I get it done. Please help.
Pat Clifton

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
The stuff to use...

The best stuff to use is a solution containing Benzalkonium chloride and Disodium octaborate. Probably the easiest way to get hold of this is "Polycell 3-in-1 Mould Killer" (in most B&Q stores), but I think Cuprinol Fungicidal Spray also has the same ingredients. Follow the instructions carefully. It works, and you don't have to scrub!

Most "Mould & Mildew Killers" are just bleach.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jcr

Visit site
If your canopy material and stitching is still in reasonable condition you could try a pressure washer. I had the same trouble and this proved to be my very succesful solution. My washer is only 100 bar and proved perfect. A more powerful one may cause problems

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jcr on 25/03/2003 20:58 (server time).</FONT></P>

dickh

Visit site
Well, I had this problem last year, mine are white and was getting green algae on the inside. Was going to try a marine algae cleaner till I read the small print and it was only suitable for vynil & PVC. I put them in the bath with hot water and Biological powder and scrubbed it all over. Did it twiceand it removed about 80% of the algea - not perfect but considerably better than before.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

RMA

Visit site
I have tried a variety of products this winter in an attempt to clean my spray hood. The only one that I found to work at all was Mould and Mildew Cleaner from Dettox. It got rid of the green stuff but not the black stains (where do they come from?) It did not affect the colour of the hood. I did buy a bottle of the Polycell 3 in 1 mould cleaner but on the way home the cap leaked, some of it went on my trousers and removed all the colour, so I did not have the nerve to try it on anything important.

<hr width=100% size=1>

pvb

Visit site
Dettox....

The Dettox Mould & Mildew Cleaner mentioned is basically household bleach with a nice label.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peasea

Visit site
Re: The stuff to use...

When you get the hood clean paint it outside with Fabsil-- easier to control with brush than aerosol .Obtainable caravan /camping shops. Will contol mould in future. I also spray on fabric areas inside lockers etc. below deck and it helps control mildew.

<hr width=100% size=1>