Canaries Dec-Jan

capnsensible

Visit site
For warmer and drier, Lanzarotte and Fuertaventura. FV though only has one proper and a bit remote marina. But those there love it!

Wetter and noisy, Gran Canaria and Tenerife though get away from it all is possible.

Even wetter but remote and scenic, Gomera and La Palma.

Totally off the planet, El Hierro.

My personal choice? Lanzarote of course! We ended up living here!!! :cool:

capnsensible

Visit site
San Sebastian on La Gomera would get my vote. :cool: Marina is on the dry side of the island.

Certainly lovely. I like to visit the Church where C. Columbus did his last mass before legging it from the wrath of the cuckolded Govenor. Beatriz the Babe, if you believe the stories!

Got to say Im not sure its the best place to keep a boat long term. Bit restricted when you can tour without getting yer boots blown off........ But holiday, yup.

RupertW

Visit site
Certainly lovely. I like to visit the Church where C. Columbus did his last mass before legging it from the wrath of the cuckolded Govenor. Beatriz the Babe, if you believe the stories!

Got to say Im not sure its the best place to keep a boat long term. Bit restricted when you can tour without getting yer boots blown off........ But holiday, yup.

My sailing in the Canaries is limited although we are planning to get the boat there next year (just moved it from Croatia to Balearics), but the week I chartered ending up being basically Tenerife to San Sebastián then day sails from there as the weather was too ugly for the other La Gomera ports and to get to La Palma. The one chance we thought we would have to get to another La Gomera harbour (Valle Gran Rey) the swell was rolling right in and the wind so unpleasant and behind us we ended up circling the lee of the island to end up back at San Sebastián again.

So although I would holiday non-boaty on La Gomera anytime I'm looking for another island if we decide to stay for a season before the Caribbean.

capnsensible

Visit site
Certainly from a boat point of view we decided on South Lanzarote to be able to sail most of the year. South Gran Canaria is kinda similar. Im there from Saturday for most of the week working a yacht out of Puerto Mogan. Will make the most of the chance to try some other S. coast harbours I've not visited.

balder

Visit site
Hello,

We just arrived from Gib in Lanzarote with our North Sea Trawler 57' OC BALDER VIII. Marina Lanzarote, great location in the charming city of Arrecife.Very good staff. Puerto Calero, further south, great also but more tiny. Very professional as well. And last, we booked for 4 months in Marina Rubicon. Very quiet, super staff, swimming pool and very clean surroundings with pleasant bars and restaurants. Only one issue, not cheap...
Considering sailing the Straits, beware of drifting nets used by aggresive morocan small fishing boats, we have been stucked three times and the last one, I wonder if these b....s were not ready to jump aboard to ask us some "compensation"...As well they refused to help us. Of course at night with some swell...
I have decided to inform MRCC in Tarifa.

t21

Visit site
From a perhaps slightly less biased point of view than the sensible Captain ... Lanzarote ain't bad at all.

Although it gets a low-rent image from package holiday industry, the over-touristy areas are very contained to small partd of the island. The rest of the island is varied and spectacular. The moonscapes come from the volcanic area, most can be driven around, pristine. There are numerous fab restaurants - I mean fab as in proper cuisine, will impress even if you follow Michelin and/or haunt the best in London. There's also the more basic Spanish type food, lots of it fab, as in Quemada, actually on the beach. Driving around the island is perfect gentle adventure every day- cheap car rental, fab roads, smooth smooth roads a mecca for cyclists. There's unexpected highbrow culture too - because a native world-reknowned artist Cesaar Manriquez of the island pushed hard and used his contacts including the king to ensure that there are no tall buildings, that resorts are contained not sprawling, that there are not even any advertising hoardings outside the towns (imagine that!) , and most if not all the services are underground. Museums and Manriquez's loon-60's volcanic parlty-underground house show his art, but it's also on show on roundabouts and elsewhere around the island. Omar Sharif had a house here, built into a cliff and now with a restaurant "LagOmar", the place reputedly won (or lost?) at a gambling table. Marina wise, Puerto Calero is top of the tree, brass bollards and all the rest. The new marina in Arrecife is also fab, cheaper, more no-nonsense, but sharp enough.

I really only know Gran Canaria as other island. This has a real "big city" in Las Palmas, historical centre dating back to Columbus and proper high-altitude green-friendly climate up the mountains. Being a more mountainous island, GC get rain, whereas captain sensible in Lanza has an olive tree and (i'm guressing) no lawnmower. There's one of the word great coastal drives along the north coast, and spectac costs on the south.

As a visitor i'd be fine stuck on eithr island for a month or more. Living there ... would depend on finding and integrating with the numerous anglophone communities.

Kelpie

Visit site
Would I right in thinking that the sailing, whilst good, is primarily going to be marina to marina, rather than seeking out anchorages?
I'm probably a bit spoiled given my own cruising ground. Weather not so nice here, though!

t21

Visit site
Gran Canaria is a bit rounded and bay-free - there's free anchoring outside LP marian altho the marina itself one of the cheapest in Europe they say... and again outside the southern cutesy marina of er Mogon i think it's called

Lanzarote has better options. Principally you want shelter from northerlies and the big bay on the south side is fine for anchoring. Absolutelt nothing at all there except the beach. That captain sensible will prolly know the GPS co-ordinates, Graciosa another option.

But to answer your qustion, I suppose yes, canaries not like the caribbean with mostly on the hook, not really. If you get ashore, it's oftn an empty beach unless right outside a marina (which isn't frowned upon like mainland spain frexample)

capnsensible

Visit site
There are some sheltered spots for anchoring along the sw side of Gran Canaria between Mogan and Maspalomas. Been doing that this week, can give more details when back home at weekend if anyone wants them.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
We spent the Winter of 2006-2007 based in San Sebastian and managed to sail to Tenerife 3 times, La Palma, El Hierro, Gran Canaria twice, and Fuerta, Lanza and Graciosa (the 'wrong way') on the way home. All in a 27-footer without any great drama, but we only sailed when there was a half-decent forecast.

Planning to base the new boat in La Gomera, but may consider Las Palmas for convenience/cheapness.

- W

capnsensible

Visit site
Yes please

That is an interesting bit of coastline. Each valley has some kind of development with hotels stretching up the cliff faces. All looking a bit dated now but personally I'm very comfortable with that slightly shabby well worn look! Dedicated to sun seekers, lots of water activities to amuse the tourists in between sunbathing.

From east to west after passing Maspalomas light.

Nice up market marina at Pasito Blanco there is a nice, well sheltered anchorage, probably the best we found. One bar, one small grocery store. Peaceful.

Next comes the headland with the cement factory. Very industrial but kinda grows on you. Can anchor to the east but didn't look too wonderful. Other side outside the small commercial port of Arguineguin looks much better. Saw several cruisers anchored outside, we just went in and out for a bit of pilotage practice.

Little harbour at Anfi is tourist boats and local stuff only. Wouldn't anchor outside, jet skis, speedboats, all the tourist stuff makes it very busy during the day.

Between there and the next marina at Puerto Rico we found a cove between the cliffs that despite being busy with tourist boosts was good for a couple of pit stops. Didn't record the name but it's obvious from seawards.

Outside Mogan. Not lots of room, couple of long term boats take up space but we did stop there twice for short periods.

There are one or two other places I wouldn't have chosen but local yachts used a bit, follow them!

Very limited visitor berths in all three marinas. Bit pricey too, nearly forty euros for a 45 foot yacht.

But I would go back,,had a great week. Saw a zillion dolphins and Tom Jones. Well, a soundalike!

Hope this helps.

anniebray

Visit site
Re Arguineguin. There is a well known (amongst Canarians) romantic folk song called La noche en Arguineguin which I find quite attractive and you easily listen to it on YouTube. However remembering the ugly cement works which dominate the port, can't help thinking that if I took my wife there for an evening she'd end up divorcing me !!
If you visit Arguineguin & like eating Fish then go to the Cofradia de Pescadores which is a leanto restaurant on the fish cold store very popular with the locals especially n Sunday lunchtime. If you like folk music there is a free performance just outside the Folk Museum in Las Palmas (Grand Canaria) every Sun morning at 11.30, which is about 10 min walk from the marina where ARC starts. There is also a program called Tenderete on RTVE which features a good selection of popular Canarian music.
Our timeshare in Maspalomas (Gran Canaria) got wound up last year, so last Feb we rented on La Palma near Puerto Tazacorte which is on the West coast. I quite enjoyed this because it was much less "touristy" & lower density of population (the east coast in comparison was very busy). Next Feb we have self catering accomodation in Puerto Tazacorte which has a fair size marina & small beach. I would describe it as a village & I find it much to my taste. Plentiful fish, restaurants & cafes (no English Breakfasts !). I always hire a car & recommend Cicar Hire because they don't play tricks with credit cards .

Last edited: