Canaries: Best base for overwintering liveaboards?

homer

Visit site
We are contemplating sailing down to the Canaries for next winter and wonder if anyone has any views on the best place to be based with a view to the marina facilities/prices, social scene etc.

john_q

Visit site
If you cannot get into La Gomera, have a look at the marina in Santa Cruz in Teneriffe. It is in a big city with major supermarkets nearby and some of them will deliver to the Marina

It is also very sheltered and as far away from the tourist areas as you can get

Ric

Visit site
As a general rule, are marinas in the Canaries well protected from Atlantic swell?

Oscarpop

Visit site
We were vert impresses with las palmas marina, also marina lanzarote.

However las palmas is a beautiful city and has a lot to offer. Had a large live aboard community too

Garold

Visit site
We had two weeks in Gomera in November. One week on a sailing course, and one week in an apartment.

San Sebastián is small but very friendly and laid back. The marina was idyllic and close to the centre of town. When we were there, there seemed to be a lot of visiting European yachts that were preparing to cross the Atlantic. I imagine that these all leave by Xmas and the marina should be quieter.

The island of Gomera is not large and doesn't have the holiday atmosphere of Tenerife. However, we went walking on the island and the scenery is amazing.

The marina looked well protected by the outer wall. I think that the berthing fees are less than the other islands.

The skipper told us that they never closed the companionway hatch in Gomera because they had never had anything stolen.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has wintered there though.

Garold

Old Thady

Visit site
La Gomera is lovely, but no airport.

I'm in San Miguel, Tenerife.

There is an airport on La Gomera but, as far as I know, the only destination is Tenerife Norte. However, from San Sebastian it's only a short ferry trip to Los Cristianos on Tenerife. From there a 30 minute bus ride takes you to Tenerife Sur which has myriad flights to northern Europe.

RAI

Visit site
As a general rule, are marinas in the Canaries well protected from Atlantic swell?
Santa Cruz de La Palma is the only marina with a continuous swell issue. The others generally only get a little inside occasionally.

capnsensible

Visit site
Im a fan of the Canaries. Lived in Lanzarote, Puerto Calero on our yacht for 2 years.

Winters can kick up a bit, but very possible to cruise round a few until you find a place you like. Pretty much what we did over a few visits before staying in Calero.

www.jamesmarinero.com
La Gomera is lovely, but no airport.

Was in La Gomera 5 days ago. Local airport is open, near Puerto Santiago. 'Binter' flights from other Canary Islands are operational. Airport is 40 mins by bus from San Sebastian. Numerous ferries from Los Cristianos.

La Gomera is a great place, but also consider Tazacorte in La Palma if you like the simple life (though it has almost everything). La Palma is a bit out of the way, but a really beautiful island. Ah, the drawbacks of researching novels...

tcm

Visit site
We are contemplating sailing down to the Canaries for next winter and wonder if anyone has any views on the best place to be based with a view to the marina facilities/prices, social scene etc.

Las palmas is nice and cheap! Like half the price of everywhere else and apparently one of the cheapest marinas in Europe, says one of the guys at the marina office, very proudly. BUT you have to wait for the flippin ARC to leave on 3rd sunday in November. Of course, you should plan to be in the area sooner than that as per the winter kicking advised/arranged by the sensible captain.. So I would definitely recommend at least some time at Lanzarote as the scenery is so completely unlike anywhere else and Calero definitely the nicest marina on the island. BUT you did ask about the cheaper options so maybe check out the newer marina at Arrecife, quite fun with all the busy busy boats off on the Odyssey rally also across the atlantic but less pressure on berthing space than at LP.

MAURICE

Visit site
Hi
I have had my Moody 44 at marina Lanzarote which is at Arricife for 10 months. The staff are excellent facilities are very good and the main town of Arricife a very short walk away. The marina is mostly empty except for the ARC for a few weeks of the year. Prices are good and they are doing a deal for an annual berth. It took me 4 days to get from Gib to Lanzarote in June I was lucky with the weather. The marina is very well protected from the swell. It is also probably the first marina when coming from Gib.
Maurice

Outforaduck

Visit site
La Gomera nice but not really a lot to entertain for us. Didn't like the wind either! Also no flights in from Bristol, a bit of a pain taking the ferry from Tenerife . Good golf course mind! I originally planned to stay for 6 months, in the end I was quite pleased we didn't. Each to their own though.

Peurto Rico on Gran Canaria - plenty to do, a bit tacky, lots of ex-pats, cheaper than La Gomera, gets lumpy in a southerly. Not bad though.

Las Palmas - GC. Alright.

7htas

dantwothreefour.wordpress.com
I was in La Gomera last month, whilst on board the STS Lorld Nelson.

We stopped at La Gomera twice- Valle Gran Rey, and San Sebastian.

Valle Gran Rey is essentially a German hippy comune, full of Cheech and Chong types "living the dream" (apparently they live in caves?)

San Sebastian was one of the nicer places that I visited (Tenerife, Las Palmas, El Hierro, and La Gomera) -

One of they guys I was sailing was friends with a couple who live there on their Sadler 36 (?) - They had nothing but praise for the place- there's very little crime there, there's a German guy called Andy who is really helpful for any repairs you may need, or work need doing. They told me that the marina was one of the more expensive marinas, (4,000E) a year. They obviously hadn't been to Puerto De Mogan, which is twice the price!

Good luck in your search