Canada-very non boaty

Kevin

Visit site
Hi

you all seem a well travelled lot.

Possibly looking for somewhere in Canada to get away from this rather oppressive country-which I still love. Wanting mountains, snow, small town, but nearish big city the idylic Canadian dream. I Live in the USA for months of the year but thinking of dropping that and going North!

has anybody intimite knowledge of the sort of areas I should/could be looking at?

many thanks

Kevin

jfm

Visit site
Surely 'Couver? One of the few places on earth where you can work in a nice big city, drive 30mins to skiing and drive 15mins to boat

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
Gibsons, near Vancouver, or Nanaimo -- swmbo is from there and we plan to head back -- amazing place --all you could ever want -0- good summer weather, mild winters at sea level, great sailing, salmon like you've never seen, skiing and camping in the hinterlands -- great shopping in Vanm and short trip to Seattle.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viceroy

Visit site
Kevin...I live in Calgary, Alberta but was brought up on the British Columbia coast...Gibsons Landing! Western Canada is THE place to seriously consider for relocation. However, a lot will depend (as usual) on the economics of your circumstances. Life on the coast is either benign or expensive and employment, generally speaking, is "competitive". A 12 hour drive or 75 minute air flight from Calgary gets me to the marina in Vancouver and the joys of some of the best cruising grounds in the world. And Calgary's dynamic economy has greater opportunities for employment. You're invited to question me further as your plans develop. Cheers, Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
BC! Everytime, anywhere on vancouver island or Vancouver area itself. Beautiful!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Kevin

Visit site
Hi many thanks for the responses.

It appears the consensus is saying the west coast. So initially ill look about that area, I have heard of Banff but it may be too far inland.

Richard, thanks for that kind offer, I havent got to work there and Im hoping that as I have an independent income from my business eleswhere the authorities will allow me to settle there for a few months of the year renting to begin with to make sure I like the place and then buy. I havent checked fully into visas for the type of settling Im looking for so Ill go away look into that and If i have a question and your offer is still open Ill come back to you.

again many thanks

Kevin

Viceroy

Visit site
Banff...the town, "once" a jewel in the Canadian Rocky Mountains is a tourist trap, albeit set in magnificent scenery. Its about a 70 minute drive from Calgary. If the terra ferma outdoors (hiking, skiing, biking, etc.) rather than watery pursuits, are of higher priority, there are lots other areas to seek out. The southwest coastal corner, including Vancouver Island, the Gulf Islands and the Sunshine Coast (Gibsons and the Sechelt Peninsula) offers all of the above in temperate climate known as the West Coast Summer Dry. Caused by the rain shadow of Vancouver Island, even indigenous cactii can be found, flowers bloom year 'round and golfers (even in the rain) ply the many links in the area. Most yotties enjoy a season from April thru October....hardier folks boat all year...softies, May - Sept. Good luck in your investigations. Cheers, Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>