Can You 'Mend' a Propeller

Dreamers

Visit site
Can You \'Mend\' a Propeller

When we are motoring we have a very unpleasant and un-nerving noise, it sounds like 'large rocks being rolled about in a wooden tub'. We are pretty certain it is not the engine as we have replaced it with a new one and the noise continues, we are sure it is not the gearbox as that has been re-furbished and checked out ok, we thought it might be the propeller shaft out of alignment - but the boatyard tell me they have checked it and it is OK. The cutlas bearings are fine. To my mind that leaves the propeller itself; dear old thing looks a bit battered and has a couple of small chips out of it. Could it be the culprit? How can I be sure?

My question is, can you get a propeller 're-furbished' or do you have to replace it? If it is a full replacement (For a 13.5 metre boat) how much are you looking at, and are they cheaper in Europe. Advice gratefully received.

G

Re: Can You \'Mend\' a Propeller

try "hamble propellors" they can usualy do something with your existing prob!!

Sinbad1

Visit site

Most likely problem is small barnacles on prop shaft where it runs on cutless bearing. If boat not moved for a couple of weeks they get rather attached! You need to dry it out and remove the beasties.

If you run your engine in gear once a week it keeps them away.

G

01489 574284 teignbridge propellors

mtb

Visit site
Re: idea\'s to try

It sounds like you've been spending money to find the fault rather than find the fault then spend to fix it !!!

Well first thing to do is while running try to locate the actual noise even with out any skill you can do that .Lift up the covers and obviously not touching any moving parts feel the equipment to see if you can source the vibration.Touch the top of the rudder stock you can some times feel the vibration re prop damage coming in through there.

That done think about cavitation this to can sound like hell and cause vibration .

engine gearbox alignment any more than a couple of thou and again problems , this does not sound likely but worth checking .

Last but unlikely is the space between the propeller and dead wood how much clearance is there this will cause major vibration and noise , if it were this then it would have been there from the beginning .

Mick

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v / cheap or swap for tug

nickbailhache

Visit site

I hope your coupling between the engine and gearbox is not 'slipping'. This can cause horrendous noise. If you are getting the drive then this is probably not the problem.

As one of the other posts has indicated, If the fault was not there at the beginning, when did it occur and what might have happened?

Nick