Can someone help me identify this ?

RMA

Visit site
Its a rotator from a Walker Knotmaster trailing log. If you put it on Ebay someone will probably want it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I have an identical spinner, together with the log itself. It's from a Walker log, but not the piddly little one fitted to yachts.

<hr width=100% size=1>

steverow

Visit site
I'm fairly sure its the business end of a Walker patent log.
There should be a mechanical meter that mounts on the stern with a loop actuator that the rope twists as it rotates in the water.

Now largely just a curiosity with modern paddle wheel and electronic types.

Steve.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
I would disagree, many blue water cruisers will have Walker logs and the spinner is the most likely bit to be lost. Anyone who doesn't want to depend on shore power for esentials will have something similar. You will find a ready but impecunious buyer on ebay.

I have a Stowe trailing log and IMHO this design has enver been bettered for coastal navigation, because of its simplicity, accuracy and lack of fouling. I wouldn't drill a hole through the hull for a dreaded paddlewheel if you paid me!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
a few years back we lost all electrical power at the start of a channel crossing and had to do DR by guessing the speed. for the return trip we bought a mechanical trailing log and got back successfully. i still carry one just in case, though i don't have any spare rotators.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tugboat

Visit site
Though the size of the item is not evident in the photo, the proportions and pitch of the blades tell me that it is from a commercial vessel Walker log, probably a Cherub.

<hr width=100% size=1>

VicS

Visit site
It's certainly not for a Knotmaster. The blades, and therefore the whole thing, are too long in proportion to the diameter.

For the record a spinner for a Knotmaster is 12 cm long and the pitch of the blades is much smaller.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=purple>Ne te confundant illegitimi.</font color=purple>

NDG

Visit site
We use one all the time, can't beat it for accuracy (can get wrapped around the prop if you forget to take it in when anchoring, though!).

<hr width=100% size=1>

DMGibson

Visit site
It's about the right size for the spinner of a Walker "Excelsior" log. It is a bit smaller than the "Cherub" but has the same relative dimensions.

Did your fisherman trawl it up (they did tend to come adrift, or get dropped when setting/recovering them) or has he got the head (with all the counting wheels in the display) as well, because that is probably much more valuable.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bluesquirrel

www.igyc.info
The "spinner" is 28cm long. Unfortunately, I only have the spinner. The fisherman found the spinner onboard the trawler, when he bought the boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>