Can I get leaded petrol in America?

peterbringloe

Visit site
I have a Yamaha 9.9 hp four-stroke outboard which I’m considering shipping to the USA from the UK. It’s an early ‘90s model which runs on leaded petrol so before I do this I want to make sure that I can get leaded (or equivalent) petrol in the US and Caribbean. I emailed an American boating friend who has told me that leaded is NOT available in the states in her experience. Can this be true, given the number of old engines there must be? Is there an additive that can be added to regular unleaded petrol?

Any info much appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
An early 90's outboard that only runs on leaded petrol, I would have a look at that again, as it's an alloy engine, so must have valve seats, so I would suspect they are hardened valve seats. Check with the manufacturers. Leaded petrol isn't available in the states, in most places anyway, but there are lead replacement ungents available. I would check first, as the engine was probably made for USA sale aswell.

<hr width=100% size=1>

peterbringloe

Visit site
Thanks for reply. I bought the engine second hand in France to push my then boat through the canals to Bordeaux after the inboard deisel seized. The French dealer who sold it to me was very insistent that I only use leaded (avec plombe) and it ran beautifully all the way. I don't know for sure how old it is. I paid arounf £750 for it and when I returned to the uk I took it to a local chandlery/come outboard dealer and they wouldn't advertise it for more than £300 - so I still have it.

We are cruising the Chesapeak now but I'm visiting the uk at the moment. The reason for considering shipping the outboard is that we have finally decided to abandon our 2hp with light slatted floor inflatable in favour of a planing inflatable (ideally with a 15hp 2-stroke).

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site
Have you checked with yamaha? I would do that first. the guy was probably being safe, as a unleade3d engine (without catalyst) will run happily on leaded, but an engine designed solely for leaded, will have problems. I would still think a four stroke outboard would be capable of unleaded. IMHO

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Lead was used in the days of "soft" valve seats to cool the surface of the valve seat to prevent the dreaded "Valve Seat Regression" and also as an octane booster. Some engines are totally incapable of conversion which usually involves fitting either hardened valve seats or a converted exchange cylinder head and retarding the ignition a few degrees - often difficult on outboards. There is always a loss of power but this can be quite small. An alternative is to dose the fuel with a lead replacement potion. Redex make one which I have found quite good but the one used by most of the classic car & motorcycle world is Castrol Valvemaster - available with or without octane booster.

VSR is a stealth disease in that you won't notice it initially but only after it has done often ireparable damage. Those tiny poppet valves on small 4T outboards must be particularly prone since the disease is accelerated by high speed running for long periods.

Some suppliers still sell leaded fuel in this country but every week sees the numbers reuced. The USa has had unleaded for much longer that us so it might just be unobtainable there. I know that you can get a lead replacement made by STP in the states from car accessory shops so that might be your only source.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Aramas

Visit site
It's much the same situation with motorcycles. Outboards and motorcycles of that era were generally badged as running on unleaded, and run they did, albeit like crap. Most places these days sell 'lead replacement' fuels at the pump. Your outboard might not run quite as well with it, but it will run, and it won't self destruct.
I have a 83 harley, and it gets hot and bothered on unleaded, but it's fine on the various lead replacement fuels (no leaded fuel in AU for years now). Friends with 00 and up CBRs etc also use lead replacement fuel, because unleaded is crap in lightweight high revving engines. It's not just the valve seats or whatever - the combustion process is different, and the timing needs to be altered for unleaded fuel or it pings and farts and carries on like a two bob watch.
Save unleaded fuel for cars and camping stoves.

<hr width=100% size=1>

gary_yank

Visit site
There is no leaded petrol to be had in the US. On our sailboat I use a early Honda (80's) with unleaded fuel and a stabilizer additive. I have had no problems with compression loss and the valve gap is checked every year and shows no sign of increasing.

Gary

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
The valve gap...

..or tappet clearance will DECREASE if your valve seats regress since the poppit will sink forther in.

Who makes the additive?

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>

gary_yank

Visit site
Re: The valve gap...

I stand corrected, you are right, the point is that the gap has not changed over the years.

The additive I use is called PRI-G and I have no interest in the firm.

US fuels have many additives to help cleaner burning, the problem is that said fuel does not have a long 'tank life.' In an automoble tank that is not a problem as you will use the fuel within a month. Unless we go cruising that is not realistic, on our sailboat as I use the same three gallon tank of fuel over the whole summer.

The other problem is that the fuel in my area is often oxygenated and will combine with water from the air while it is in the tank. Adding alcohol type additives to burn off the water is fine if you are going to use up the tank of fuel in a short time, the problem is increased if you don't.

I started with the PRI-G, again no interest in the company, while putting my Norton, Triumph and MG up for long storage. Each of the previous,vehicles for the mentally challanged, was designed for leaded fuel. I got rather tired of cleaning out gummed up SU carbs and poor performance for the first tank of fuel.

PRI-G, no interest in the firm, is expensive at about 10 GBP ($17US) per small bottle. The small bottle treats around 250 US gal.- follow the directions as this is a case where extra is not better.

Gary

<hr width=100% size=1>