Can I extend my shaft?

greggron

Visit site
I have a 9.9hp Yamaha longshaft outboard (an old white one). It sits in a well in my Leisure 22 but could really do with being a few inches deeper. It's not possible to lower the transome. Few second hand extra long shaft outboards (8 or 9.9hp) come up for sale and a new one is out of the question.

Can I make my existing shaft any longer?

Advice appreciated.

Greg

Pandoramark1

Visit site

greggron

Visit site
Quote of the day that.!

funny this not only yesterday was i looking for the same thing one of the links i cam across was this hope it helps

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Accessories/acc8.htm

they are a based in America but i am sure you will find a uk based company.

I just moved my bracket down in the end for all the time it took.

PMK1
Thanks for the info. If anyone does know of a similar UK outfit supplying this I would welcome the details. Have found nothing so far.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I may be worthwhile leaving a search on ebay - a longshaft model may comeup and you could cannabalise it for the longer shaft. Or try local a local Yamaha dealer and see what they say - they may be able to supply secondhand bits to cobble together an extra long shaft version. Seamark Nunn in Suffolk has a shed full of old outboards - they certainly helped me out recently with a secondhand gear unit for a Suzuki 2.2.

DownWest

Visit site
After a mate changed from transom to well, we looked into shortening his 3.5 engine. Looked simple, but the new drive shaft and water tube + odds and sods cost near £150! And that is with throwing away the extension casting, which you need to buy for lengthening. Find a scrap one, the bits should be good.
A

Lakesailor

Visit site
From the OP

I have a 9.9hp Yamaha longshaft outboard

So it looks like he is looking for an extra long leg.
Evinrude do an extra long leg, but as Downwest says the costs to do the same for a Yamaha will be considerable.

Last edited:

Madhatter

wp.me
I have a 9.9hp Yamaha longshaft outboard (an old white one). It sits in a well in my Leisure 22 but could really do with being a few inches deeper. It's not possible to lower the transome. Few second hand extra long shaft outboards (8 or 9.9hp) come up for sale and a new one is out of the question.

Can I make my existing shaft any longer?

Advice appreciated.

Greg

Now watch out for all the spam your gonna get:eek:

C

catalac08

Tohatsu do ultra long leg kits to convert from long to ultra long. Kit consists of 5" leg spacer, ultra long shaft, ultra long water pickup tube from the pump and ultra long gear rod. Fair bit of stuff and cost for a 20HP about £350 plus the cost of doing it, approx £100. Not a cheap job.

greggron

Visit site
Quote of the day that.!

funny this not only yesterday was i looking for the same thing one of the links i cam across was this hope it helps

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/Accessories/acc8.htm

they are a based in America but i am sure you will find a uk based company.

I just moved my bracket down in the end for all the time it took.

PMK1
Contacted this company. Their quote is $375 plus $110 p&p which is about £300 at current exchange rates if anyone is interested. Seems a lot to me.

So still looking for a UK outfit or suitable extra long shaft second hand 8 or 9.9hp motor if anyone has one that they are looking to sell.