Can a Rutland drain power?

fliti

Visit site
I recently installed a Rutland 913 wind gen with HRDX regulator. At the same time, I installed a Victron battery monitor. I have noticed that, with all other sytems switched off and the batteries well drained, the readout from the Victron turns negative-AMP draw-when the wind gets much above 15 knots. It is positive in low winds. The HRDX readout remains progressively higher as the wind rises, in the normal way, as your would expect. Can anyone cast light on this anomaly please?

Playtime

Visit site
Further to the above, I've just looked at the Marlec description of the HDRX unit. It states (among other things) the following -

The PWM electronic charge regulator tapers charge to the battery by gradually limiting windcharger current to avoid battery overcharge.
When regulating the turbine speed is gradually reduced finally to an idle
As fully charged batteries are more likely to occur in high winds this slow mode of operation is safer and reduces wear

This will mean that the charge produced actually reduces as the wind speed increases (if the batteries are already well charged). If there is some other load on the batteries that is monitored by the Victron, then I guess the total current could go negative.

Can you read the current produced by the 913 on the HDRX? This should give a good indication of what is happening.

Visit site
It seems odd.
You didn't say which of the monitors you are using but from a quick look on the Victron site they talk about "synchronizing" the monitor on fully charged batteries. Have you done that?

pappaecho

Visit site
The HRDX controller has an off/on switch which will switch off the turbine. Try it in the off position to see what happens. To be honest, I do not see why you have both the HRDX and the Victron. The HRDX outputs to two different battery banks, and should be connected directly to the batteries, without the Victron. The Victron can obviously be connected via the engine alternator to the respective battery banks.I have had a 913 and a HRDX for five years charging 400 amps of batteries in two banks, and the voltage is close to 13.8 to 14 volts at any time of year. I suspect that your problems may be that the two controllers are cascaded in series and there t lies your roblem.