CAMRA pub app - essential for the cruising yachtsperson

JNKScot

Visit site
With the acknowledgment that such an app could be an invaluable cruising accessory I’ve been checking this out this morning and am pretty unimpressed by functionality without subscription. Maybe I just don't understand the presentation? Seems you just get a list of pubs with no "scores", only "good" or "not good". Plug in "lower swanwick" or "bursledon" and there are no "good pubs" within 2 miles. Looking at the old ship (listed under "pubs" but not "good pubs") they tell you it serves "London pride + 2 others", missing out the critical information that, arguments about how it changed post-Gales aside, one of those is HSB. A paper copy of the good pub guide (if ordered from amazon, but not direct from camra where it's 50% more expensive) is cheaper than 12xmonthly subscriptions.

(Disclaimer: I haven't been into a pub in 18 months and all the beer I've drunk in the past 2 months has been of the alcohol-free variety but I am looking at a "Grand Re-opening" with my boat's first trip out, hopefully this week)
Annual sub for the GBG App is £4.99; my GBG on priority annual sub from CAMRA is £10, free delivery

laika

Visit site
Annual sub for the GBG App is £4.99; my GBG on priority annual sub from CAMRA is £10, free delivery

Fair enough: I was looking at the 99p/month option, not being sufficiently bowled over by the free functionality to consider the yearly option.

Not sure the in-app payment thing is working for them here: I might have just bought it for a fiver on recommendations in this thread but not so keen not knowing how much better the paid-for version is than the unimpressive free version.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We are pretty much nomadic at present, so books, maps and so on are really out. I find the apps, websites and downloaded info much more convenient - and easy to store.

I also like the fact that you are always carrying these things - if we walk, cycle or sail into a new town, we can get a good start on the best cafe, restaurant or pub.

TripAdvisor came up trumps on both a cafe and restaurant this weekend in Ipswich and the CAMRA app did really well in Tollsbury, Maldon and Bradwell. The OS maps app is brilliant for finding a good walk.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
With the acknowledgment that such an app could be an invaluable cruising accessory I’ve been checking this out this morning and am pretty unimpressed by functionality without subscription. Maybe I just don't understand the presentation? Seems you just get a list of pubs with no "scores", only "good" or "not good".

Exactly my experience/thoughts as well.

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I guess it's horses for courses. Arriving in town by boat, foot or bike, we usually have a pretty limited choice - all we want to know is whether a pub visit is likely to be worth the walk and which one to choose. The combination of the good beer guide entry, the beers served and description are enough for us.

RobbieW

Visit site
With the acknowledgment that such an app could be an invaluable cruising accessory I’ve been checking this out this morning and am pretty unimpressed by functionality without subscription. Maybe I just don't understand the presentation? Seems you just get a list of pubs with no "scores", only "good" or "not good". Plug in "lower swanwick" or "bursledon" and there are no "good pubs" within 2 miles. Looking at the old ship (listed under "pubs" but not "good pubs") they tell you it serves "London pride + 2 others", missing out the critical information that, arguments about how it changed post-Gales aside, one of those is HSB. A paper copy of the good pub guide (if ordered from amazon, but not direct from camra where it's 50% more expensive) is cheaper than 12xmonthly subscriptions.

(Disclaimer: I haven't been into a pub in 18 months and all the beer I've drunk in the past 2 months has been of the alcohol-free variety but I am looking at a "Grand Re-opening" with my boat's first trip out, hopefully this week)
As I have the 'paid for' variant its difficult to compare. However, the nearest CAMRA house, the Village Inn, to Swanwick is indeed 2 miles away and its not one I really know. The Old Ship kept a decent pint a couple of years ago and is imo the best choice in the immediate (walking) area, I cant remember if they served Pride or stayed with the Gales variants - Seafarers being the session beer, its a bit thin but acceptable.

JNKScot

Visit site
As I have the 'paid for' variant its difficult to compare. However, the nearest CAMRA house, the Village Inn, to Swanwick is indeed 2 miles away and its not one I really know. The Old Ship kept a decent pint a couple of years ago and is imo the best choice in the immediate (walking) area, I cant remember if they served Pride or stayed with the Gales variants - Seafarers being the session beer, its a bit thin but acceptable.
The "CAMRA" one will be the one in the listed in the GBG; "Nearby Pubs" are ones listed in the WhatPub database but are only GBG listed if marked with the wee orange symbol, if not they may or may not be to your liking; in that case you are on your own.

FYI; not in the 2021 Guide

Old Ship, Lower Swanwick • whatpub.com

Last edited: