Camping gas 907 bottles, how long do they last you?

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
Hey guys!

Just seen the extortionate price for a refill, and one post stating two weeks per bottle on a brief google search.

So I'm wondering if now is the time to rethink. It's just me at the moment, I rarely use more than one burner. Oven and grill dont stay lit for some annoying reason!

So can anyone give me an idea of how long a bottle might last me? I know its subjective.

Heating is all deisel and charcoal (charcoal going once its run out)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it's any help people who liveaboard over the winter months tend to buy a local big bottle and a reg , much cheaper that way .
Plus here in Sicily we paying €15 for a refill in Malta 12 and in Greece anything from €10 to 12'€

mikegunn

Visit site
In the UK £36.99 seems to be the going rate!!!!! Calor gas is much cheaper but their bottles won't fit in my gas locker.

Mike

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
If it's any help people who liveaboard over the winter months tend to buy a local big bottle and a reg , much cheaper that way .
Plus here in Sicily we paying €15 for a refill in Malta 12 and in Greece anything from €10 to 12'€

Yes i am on one partial bottle now, new one will be soon I think, will see how long it lasts, being warmer at the moment I am not doing hot meals as often, so perhaps I will count the amount of hit meals I make and work it out like that...

I can run a cooktop from the inverter for free if the sun is shining. I think I need to do some spreadsheets to work out what's going to be most effective long term!

In the UK £36.99 seems to be the going rate!!!!! Calor gas is much cheaper but their bottles won't fit in my gas locker.

Mike

Look online, £25 at some places. That's £70 quid a month for cooking on 2 hobs!

I'd rather eat cold beans and buy an extra house battery to run the cook top!

doug748

Visit site

Mike

Same here, it's starting to get silly, I thought 20 quid was steep.

Someone on here refilled his 907 from a large Calor bottle.
I'm tempted to look at this....... except I have never had any success at filling a bloody cigarette lighter.

Travellingwithtoby

Visit site
Same here, it's starting to get silly, I thought 20 quid was steep.

Someone on here refilled his 907 from a large Calor bottle.
I'm tempted to look at this....... except I have never had any success at filling a bloody cigarette lighter.

This had me laughing ?
Portugal a refit costs about €16.

As in normal times we normally eat out a bottle lasts about 4 months.
Yes I'm going to be living on a shoestring while doing the boat up, will see what comes of the next bottle!

mikegunn

Visit site
Yes i am on one partial bottle now, new one will be soon I think, will see how long it lasts, being warmer at the moment I am not doing hot meals as often, so perhaps I will count the amount of hit meals I make and work it out like that...

I can run a cooktop from the inverter for free if the sun is shining. I think I need to do some spreadsheets to work out what's going to be most effective long term!

Look online, £25 at some places. That's £70 quid a month for cooking on 2 hobs!

I'd rather eat cold beans and buy an extra house battery to run the cook top!

Boat's in UK at the moment and there's not enough sun here to power a cooktop, unfortunately.

Looked on line for 907 refills, but all i could find for £25.00 were empty bottles.

MIght try decanting from the larger Calor Gas bottles.

Mike

[3889]

Visit site
Refilling Calor propane (6kg) at a petrol station using FILL GAS BOTTLE UK Bayonet LPG Filler to Calor FLOGAS BRASS ADAPTER 14.5cm LONG | eBay
is a lot easier and costs £8 for more than double a 907 content. Most places aren't that bothered; been challenged once in the last ten years (in Devon where hydrocarbon fuels are considered newfangled). Legally, it is a breach of contract with Calor and no more, and that's assuming you buy the bottle from Calor in the first instance.

Hadenough

Visit site
Refilling Calor propane (6kg) at a petrol station using FILL GAS BOTTLE UK Bayonet LPG Filler to Calor FLOGAS BRASS ADAPTER 14.5cm LONG | eBay
is a lot easier and costs £8 for more than double a 907 content. Most places aren't that bothered; been challenged once in the last ten years (in Devon where hydrocarbon fuels are considered newfangled). Legally, it is a breach of contract with Calor and no more, and that's assuming you buy the bottle from Calor in the first instance.
Not sniping, genuine question and I have an LPG truck so know about using Autogas dispensers. How do you know when to stop filling

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

Yes, we sometimes get ours filled from a garage for about 6 euro in Greece. No elfin safety but they aren't keen if police in the area and I keep the 907 in a rucksack until ready to fill. Main problem is persuading them not to overfill. I try to keep an eye on their gauge and usually check weigh afterwards anyway as first fill in Greece must have been dangerously full. I bled off quite a lot in the parking lot, luckily there was a strong breeze.:D

A bit dodgy but I doubt many 907s are filled from a legit. source in Greece and most people under fill them.

Paulg25

Visit site
As far as I can tell a 907 holds about 4.5 litres of liquid butane when you buy a full one.
So putting 4.5 litres of LPG in should be fine. That's about £3.00!!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Totally illegal, but I fill the 907 by myself from local bottles, whatever country. 907 refills in France are 25-27€, a 12kg bottle is a little more but I can fill almost 4 x 907s
To know the correct filling level, one can either weigh the bottle beforehand, or -which I prefer- keep the receiving bottle floating in water, when it gets to neutral buoyancy it will be ok.

Filling from a very dubious African donor bottle

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
We use only two 907 bottles a year.

Liveaboards all year round, ½ of the time two persons.

We like cooking, are both good cooks.

We prefer cooking ( and heating ) on our wood stove for many reasons. The gas is only used mid summer or when speed is essential.

The main plus for the wood stove is that cooking on gas produces enormous amounts of water inside the boat, condense, mold. Cooking on wood ( or a diesel stove ) and good pots produces nothing.

Negative : we have to go take a walk and gather the burning wood.

Jamestkirk

Visit site
Hey guys!

Just seen the extortionate price for a refill, and one post stating two weeks per bottle on a brief google search.

So I'm wondering if now is the time to rethink. It's just me at the moment, I rarely use more than one burner. Oven and grill dont stay lit for some annoying reason!

So can anyone give me an idea of how long a bottle might last me? I know its subjective.

Heating is all deisel and charcoal (charcoal going once its run out)
It depends on what I'm cooking. A loaf of bread takes around 30 minutes and a cuppa tea about 2 minutes to boil the water,

mikegunn

Visit site
Totally illegal, but I fill the 907 by myself from local bottles, whatever country. 907 refills in France are 25-27€, a 12kg bottle is a little more but I can fill almost 4 x 907s
To know the correct filling level, one can either weigh the bottle beforehand, or -which I prefer- keep the receiving bottle floating in water, when it gets to neutral buoyancy it will be ok.

Filling from a very dubious African donor bottle

View attachment 89192
I like this! Particularly the method of ensuring that the 907 bottle isn't overfilled. I did the sums (open to correction) and reckon that when the bottle loses positive buoyancy it has about 85% of maximum safe capacity. So the method errs nicely on the side of caution, without the hassle of weighing.
To go back to the original question, I cook at least one meal per day and find that a 907 refill lasts about 6 weeks. Choice of cookware has a big influence on gas consumption. e.g a pressure cooker works well as does maintaining a minimum flame size commensurate with heat requirement. It also pays not to waste energy in heating oversize utensils. Those big kettles might look good but a one cup saucepan will consume a lot less gas.
Mike