Calorifier

G

Yes indeed you did Peter...I am a complete idiot!!!
Thanks!

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
no not at all, I was thinking that your thermo could be faulty but more likely that there was insufficient revs to heat the water, that can happen as Hayden stated, but then as is the way someone else will always offer an alternative point of view. In you case it's down to the size of your engine and how much cooling effect the raw water has on the heat produced at tick over my ex V6 never warmed up until you went cruising. If you only have a little engine then yes it will heat up enough to give you hot water.

B 4 you take it to bits try a cruise out this weekend and see, then if they are still warm it's your termo thingy :)

cheers

peter

G

This is what makes this forum so bloody useful!! I couldn't do without it!
Incidentally, engine is a 210hp Volvo V8 ....'nuff said!

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
the forum can be a little unpredictable, but on the whole very useful I have had lots of good advice for within it, so it sounds like the collective have solved your problems, your thermo thingy is fine, big lump, loads of cold water needs some revs :)

happy boating

peter

G

Hooray, thanks to Peter and others....
Took 224 out for 2 hour Severn cruise on Sunday....wife nearly scalded hands under hot water tap!!!!!!!!!
Result!! Thermo ok..as Peter said, needs plenty of revs / on move rather than tick over!
Now a new prob:
After warming engine up, tends to cut out when put into gear..have to restart a few times.
Also did it when switched off in Severn lock...dirty filters? plugs? points?
Max

Chris_d

Visit site
Check idle speed and timing. This can sometimes happen if engine running too hot, I know and you've just got your lovely hot water!
Have had same thing with fishing line round prop, just causes enough drag to stall engine if not using any thottle.

G

Chris, just a quickie......there is another 224 in the marina @ Stourport, exactly same colour etc. as mine. I've been trying to see owner, but never there.
Mine sits arse heavy...quite noteably compared with other 224.
Mine has 211A V8..silly question, but I assume that other 224 is prob 4 cylinder job..131 / 171 etc...therefore is V8 that much heavier to account for arse heaviness?
What's in yours? Would welcome comments
Max

Chris_d

Visit site
Hi Max,

Yes your right, mine has a BMW220, which is probably similar weight to your V8 and it does sit a bit lower. A friend of mine has a slightly newer 225 with a Volvo 151, and it feels like a different boat the moment you steep on board, it seems much more tippy and sensistive to people moving about. The handling is noticably worse at low speed, presumably because it has less grip on the water, also I think the smaller diameter prop fitted gives less response when nudging in and out of gear for lock work, the extra weight is definately an advantage.
I also noticed when probeing around behind fridge of my friends boat that the hull was a lot thinner, it was letting light through!. Mine seems to be much thicker and hence heavier, perhaps Cruisers skimped a bit on the layup with some boats to save money, so perhaps some are lighter than others. They definately did something with the larger 267 which had hull delamination prob's. Nothing reported with 224s though.

G

Thanks Chris, didn't know there was a 225..what did they look like? How different from 224?
Funnily enough, my 224 lets light in behind fridge, as I was ferreting around there hitting the water pump..(bloody silly place for a water pump).
Mine's a 1988 vintage...presumably yours is older when they weren't trying to save money?? Or later when they realised the hull was too thin!!
Thanks again for all your info..very useful!
Max

Chris_d

Visit site
Yes mine is early 87, hull number is 007 (license to to thrill! ahem..) so obviously early build.
All boats I have seen had water pump in the little locker under left hand side of vee berth, behind fridge sounds a bit daft.
The larger 267 Vee Express, looks very different, has 6 berths and an excellent interior, but is very difficult to sell because of the hull problems, you can pick them up for 20K easy maybe less, its a lot of boat for the money if you can find a good one. The 224 and 267 moulds were bought by a Excaliber marine in Somerset, they made several more 224's and 267's, there are quite a few Excaliber 267's about with twin diesels and these are excellent boats, worth looking out for. They have since stopped making them and moved up market.

G

I think without looking that mine is hull 042...
Yes, I know the frailties of the 267s hull..what a shame, 'cos it does look a superb boat.
Just too heavy to trail though. As it is I'm having a job lowering the nose weight on trailer to 75kg (Land Rover Discovery fig)..at moment I'm 130kg on nose! Can't move boat back much further on trailer due to excessive overhang!
I wonder why whoever had my 224 moved the water pump from under port berth to back of fridge??
Sorry if I'm rambling..I'm bored at work!!!

Chris_d

Visit site
Have you tried emptying the water tank, 20galls must weigh about 90kgs.
I think you can have as much overhang as you like, assuming the boat is still supported ok. On my roller coaster trailer you can actualy move the axles along though, this would probably be the best option in the long run.

G

Water tank was empty at time of weighing (in fact I bent the school scales..irrepairably! but noone knows how!)
Yes, I can move axles ..it's a brand new trailer from SBS..I don't really want much overhang as that can lead to swaying - plus the fact that the stern sits perfectly along the length of the bunks (wholly bunked trailer with keel rollers)
I suppose if I move them about a foot forwards, recover boat..weigh..then dunk it back / try again. Very much trial and error I guess - good practice too!
Do you trail your 224? If so, does it trail well? What do you trail it with? Where do you normally cruise? Any good cruising grounds found?
We normally go to Plymouth / Poole..particularly Plymouth..lots of relatively safe water and great anchorage off Cawsand / Kingsand..superb Cornish villages.
Sorry, I'm still bored at school waiting for the end of year Leavers' Play to start..bloody kids!

Chris_d

Visit site
Hi again, bored here too, just waiting for 5:30. You should definately try moving the axles, but probably an inch or two would be enough, you could probaly do it without removing the boat, just jack up wheels and slide them along one side at a time.
We trail our with a LWB 3.2 Trooper, its ok but very heavy, you can only do 40 to 50 mph depending on the gradient. We are moored on the Thames at the moment so only use the trailer during the winter, to be honest its a bit too bloody big to keep pulling all over the place so we haven't bothered much. Be interested to here how you get on.

G

Yes, agreed on weight. Disco doesn't like it much starting off on a hill...no probs if start off on low ratio though.
Agree with 40-50 mph..fuel cons suffers a bit too (and the Disco is economical usually).
But had no choice as local marina is expensive all year. Usually moor for a few months in marina.
Not keen on Severn mooring as river can be bloody lethal after a bit of rain! Plus drongos who like nothing better than to cut warps and see how far she will drift.
Advantage of course is that you can take her all over place..not that we have yet! Bit of a difference after a Shetland F4! Ultimate aim next year is to get ICC and trail her to Med Spain or France. Already got Day Skipper theory.
Speak to you soon with more probs, I daresay!!