Calorifier

G

Hooray, my 224 is in water at last!! Brilliant. What a fabulous sound the V8 makes....beats the wind making those annoying flappy sounds from rags on stix...Does wander about at slow speed tho!!
Anyway, no hot water coming thru...hose from engine to calorifier is warm, so is the return hose...wot could be wrong?? Any suggestions??
Incidentally, she slipped off the SBS trailer in the minimum amount of water..I was amazed..phwoar!!!

tr7v8

Visit site
Since no one else has answered I'll have a go.
Firstly you don't have any sperate stopcocks on the calorifer? If not bleed the feed from the water pump into it and then when you get flow do the same for the output, this will clear any airlocks. On mine the feed from the water pump goes from tank-a "y" connection, which splits one side gives the cold straight to the taps and the other goes to the calorifer. The out put from this then goes to the hot taps. Sometimes stop cocks are put in to allow draining servicing of individual items and drain down for winter.

Jim
---------------

G

Thanks Jim, will give it a whirl...I guess the hose feeds from the engine should feel hotter than they do..luke warm at present.
Max

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont know if this helps but.
I have a shower thingy on the transom. We use it more for washing the boat than showering. Now if some one leaves the temperature mixer thingy on. Theres no hot water anywhere on the boat. Took me years to find what the reason was. So just make sure everything your not using is off.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

G

Haydn,
Thanx...will check. Tho' the shower is disconnected...no mixer unit...been removed..I wonder whether it was because the calorifier didn't work with the owners before the previous ones.
Max

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Need to ask a couple of questions, to under stand your system - just fiited one of my own BTW.

Does the water pump fire up / whirl ?

Dose anything come out of the hot tap ?

Does the calorify itself feel warm ?

Can you rock it about to hear if there is any water in it?

Warm hoses from engine - how long did the engine run for - has the themosat had time to operate / does it work ?

Sounds like no flow and hence an air lock - IMHO

Good luck
Peter

G

Thanx Peter..will print off your questions as a check list when I go down to boat tonite.
Boat had been running/ticking over for about an hour.
Cold water comes out of the hot tap.
Calorifier itself didn't feel particularly warm....only hoses and they were only luke warm.
Boat's been standing for 8 months till we bought her and water system was drained. Only just filled water tank up. Flushed thru ok...filled up again, only for no water flow thru both taps this time, tho you can hear the pump working.
Hmm

Chris_d

Visit site
If its the same calorifier as my 224, try turning the pressure relief valve on the top, should release any air, you have to do this if the tank has been run empty then topped up. Only other problem I have had is that despite twirling the tap to what I thought was wide open the actual valve wasn't letting the water through. Had to dismantle the tap and reassemble it, I expect you've got the same crap taps as mine, so it could be that simple!

Strathglass

Visit site
The usual problem, if there are no valves turned off is air in the system. Is the calorifier higher then the engine? then bleed the feed pipe at its highest point. I have built in a bleed point in a raggie I am building just to do this.
Iain

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Hummmm indeed, more ideas to try.

Do you have a pressure release valve on your calorifier ? if so give it a crank, you should get a squirt of water out of your overflow. If so then you know that the pump is pressurising the calorifier. If you only get air out then it will need bleeding more.

Luke warm hoses still says thermostat to me – I assume you have a fresh water cooling system and that this has an expansion tank so any air will work it’s way out.

Unless you have any cut of valves and these are partly closed or stuck.

Good luck

Peter

G

Chris, thanks for that.
Bloody water pump ain't pumpin' now. You can hear it buzzin/hummin', but no water flow. Is there an impeller in the bloody thing??
Could all this be connected?
It did work when I first flushed the system thru..then when I refilled the water tank, bingo....no bloody water.
What with this and the same petrol stink from tank area...holiday on board seems to be in some doubt..3 weeks to go ...got to sort it!!!

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
like my old V6 petrol then that got frost damage. Re other posts I'd start at the water pump, check filter etc. Then work towards the other parts of the system. Re luke warm hoses HLB is right , engine probalbly not getting hot enough on tickover, you should see a difference when running at normal cruising speeds

Peter

G

Peter
did indeed crank release valve on calorifier...squirt of water into bilge..cured the water pump not pumping..must have been an air lock.
Need to wind engine up, but a bit limited on Severn,,will wait till we take her to Plymouth in a few weeks!!
Max

PGD

www.peter-davey.com
Sounds like you'r e getting there with it, great. You probably won't need to blast the engine just check the pipes when your out cruising - tick over will only be around 750 rpm. I cruise on the Thames at around 1400 so the engine rate is that bit higher to give me very hot water. Try it when you're next out and about you should notice a difference.

Peter

G

Thanks..will do. I'll let everyone know how I get on...if only to be of use if anyone else has same prob!
Max:))

chriswilliams29

Visit site
hi. if the water leaving your engine is only warm and this is the feed to the calorifier have you got a thermostat in the engine assuming as mine is fed from the thermostat housing, it sounds like the water is not getting hot . and it will get hot even on tickover.
hope this helps

G

So Chris do you think a new thermostat is needed or can they be 'tweeked'/altered?? I haven't got a bloody clue!!
Max