Calorifier Help

landlockedpirate

Visit site
I took delivery of my new (to me) boat at the end of November, 2 days before the 1st freeze was forecast. In my haste to get everything winterised in time, I mistook a faulty drain valve on my hot water tank for an empty tank. It didnt end well.......

DSCN1077.jpg

So now I need a new calorifier, the current tank is only heated by electric, how easy is it to fit one that will heat off the engine as well ? (Mercruiser V8) If this is possible can I get a kit of the plugs and hoses I need ?

Lastly anyone know of any good deals on either electric only or electric/engine heated calorifiers. Basic maths tells me I need 20-25l tank.

Thanks

Divemaster1

Visit site
So now I need a new calorifier, the current tank is only heated by electric, how easy is it to fit one that will heat off the engine as well ? (Mercruiser V8) If this is possible can I get a kit of the plugs and hoses I need ?

Lastly anyone know of any good deals on either electric only or electric/engine heated calorifiers. Basic maths tells me I need 20-25l tank.

Thanks

Mine blew too this spring ... but a 40L .... and due to age and corrosion rather than not draining...

I could not find anyone more reasonable than these .... so ours is due for delivery Thursday / Friday and it may be worth giving them a call....

http://www.youboatmarine.com/quick-nautic-water-heater-bx25l-calorifier-144-p.asp

benjenbav

Visit site
Alf - Thanks for that. I currently have a fully functioning calorifier but was wondering what it would cost to replace as and when. That looks a lot more reasonable than I had expected.

stuhaynes

www.best-camping-stoves.com

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Thanks Alf, thats the best price I have seen by a long way. I am going to order one and stick it in so at least we have heated water via shore power.

Still looking for advice re how to connect it to the engine water circuit.

pentane

Visit site
I still need to connect mine as well, found an old drawing on the net somewhere - can't lay my hands on it the mo.
Anyway, from memory you need an unequal TEE in the large hose from the water pump, this goes to one end of the heating coil. As for the other end, you need to replace a plug in the stat housing with a barbed connection.
This may not be 100% correct so you do need to try and track down a sketch of the circuit before setting to work. Hardest part will be the TEE I reckon.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Looked around a fair bit before I found these guys, but significantly cheaper than the others I found...

Our is/was connected pretty much as Pentane describes ... Fresh water cooled engine but not Mercruiser....one end connected to the water circulation pump and other to thermostat housing....

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Thanks for all the input, I cant believe how much trouble I am having with such a simple thing. Spoke to 2 marine companies today and both said its impossible to run a calorifier from a raw water cooled Mercruiser. Both of my previous boats have had it, so I know thats rubbish.

Think I have found the connection on the thermostat housing, its the plug in the bottom right forground underneath the brass nut.

IMAG0034.jpg

But where exactly to put the unequal tee in is a problem.

Divemaster1

Visit site
Raw water coled ... Think you then need to take water out from thermostat housing to the calorifier and return to the exhaust elbow (check engine manual)..... corrosing / sludge in pipes may become aproblem after a couple of years ... but not sure...

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Raw water coled ... Think you then need to take water out from thermostat housing to the calorifier and return to the exhaust elbow (check engine manual)..... corrosing / sludge in pipes may become aproblem after a couple of years ... but not sure...

Thanks, I'm getting closer ! Boat is trailed and flushed with clean water after every outing, so should mimimise problems.

pentane

Visit site
I think the plug on the stat varies with the vintage of the engine, IE mine I think is on the starboard side, not as shown in this example.
Top marks for finding it though!

Divemaster1

Visit site

PCUK

Visit site
Lancing marine will be able to supply the necessary fittings and tell you where to put them!
You may need an electric circulation pump to assist the flow on a raw water cooled system - My old AQ130 did.

You Boat has some other nice gear on their site as well! Are they German (U-Boat!)

Last edited:

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Lancing marine will be able to supply the necessary fittings and tell you where to put them!
You may need an electric circulation pump to assist the flow on a raw water cooled system - My old AQ130 did.

You Boat has some other nice gear on their site as well! Are they German (U-Boat!)

Thanks, Lancing marine were helpful and I now have all the bits needed on the way.

You Boat seem to be based in Hampshire, the website doesnt take payment at the moment, you have to place your order and then click 'Phone' as payment method, they then ring you back and get the details.