Calling laptop entrepreneur

Sybarite

Visit site
Looking at the posts I've copied below there seems to be a market for somebody to make a package centred on a lap-top ie plotter, navigation computer then entertainment centre.

Andrewa (mobo forum)
Just for info the way I got TV was to get a laptop with built in DVD player which I frigged to multi region, i.e RPC 0, then I got hold of a USB TV tuner box and hey presto combo DVD/TV with low power consumption 15in screen which can run via battery, 12v or 240v. I am rather lucky being an IT nanager as I get 'old' laptops through my dept all the time. Just ensure its running W2K or XP and you should have no problems.

Mezzanine
Second hand Laptop and chart softwear package gives Big Screen and can be used for other applications Navtex, Weather Fax, etc and if you get board you can play games or connect to the internet and while away hours.

Pandroid ( re power consumption)
I compared two laptops to the Raymarine Colour plotter and they came out about the same. The current varies as to whether the laptop is charging, so its a good idea to start them off fully charged. I used a Targa air 12v adaptor rather than a mains inverter. I set the screen to time out within a minute of use (but the laptop continues to plot)

dave
a lap top, fitted in a dedicated position so it can't get damaged, and a software package such as Euronavs "SeaPro" If you email them they will send you a demo disc to try. The dedicated plotter of any make will be out of date in months and superceded by yet something better, i.e. more bells and whistles. The beauty of a lap top and software is the fact to update to a newer version isn't going to cost an arm and a leg, and you don't end up being stuck with last years model that nobody wants. It's easy to get new charts as and when you need them, just an email or a phone call and using a credit card they will give you a pass code to unlock the chart you want from the cd programme disc. I've got a Raytheon radar/plotter I don't use the plotter at all, its easier and better using the laptop.

John

<hr width=100% size=1>

colvic

Visit site
Hi John,
You know that if someone did market a specific nautical one the price would double or treble. Also I've have three Insurance companies decline to include the laptop in the insurance cover.

The local comp. shop is selling s/h laptops with either a dvd or cdrw drive for under £400.

I have used a desktop PC for over four years and run everything, scanner,printer, dvd, cdrw,tv card,internet,digital camera chart plotter and weatherfax. All on Win 98 as a lot of software still isn't available for WinXP. The desktop gave enough serial ports and USB ones to have everything connected at the same time.

However, due to wheel house rebuild we are going to a laptop top due to having less space. Using Maptech charts and software, dvd. printer and scanner attached as required. Garmin 126 GPS. No analogueTV card this time as I'm trying to find out if the free to view 30+ Digital chanels are receivable in the Med and if so will buy the digital tv card then at least we canwatch British TV if we are desperate enough.

Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>

bbee0001

Visit site
If the budget is a killer, then have a look at www.oziexplorer.com. $US75.00 shareware. I've been using it for a while now on my laptop navigating around NZ - interface to my Magellan GPS 315 hand held. up and down load waypoints and routes etc. It doesnt have ALL the bells and whistles like some of the more expensive jobs, but it does the basics pretty well IMHO. Runs on win95/98 and XP and maybe a few more. Worth a look.

Hard to beat for the price

Cheers bb

<hr width=100% size=1>

seashaw

Visit site
These guys already do - www.marinercomputers.co.uk
I've just got my system off them, it does the onboard navigation, tv, and entertainment, and i'am about to connect some cameras up to it so it will do security as well, and it all comes in a box smaller than a video player.

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

seashaw

Visit site
It cost £1049 inc vat postage etc, it would have been cheaper but i got two monitors. One monitor i keep at home the other on the boat and i just move the pc between the two

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pcworld.co.uk/store/martprd.dll/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0627801449.1053937934@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadciglkdmimcefecfgmdffgdflg.0&page=Product&sku=721140&category_oid=-9834>PC World</A> do one for just short of £300. Keyboards are around a tenner.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

ccscott49

Visit site
^Thanks Gordon, I'll have a think about that, cheapest I've heard of. I want to be able to put the laptop away in my chrt table and just have that, a keyboard (with rubber thingy) and mouse on the chart table, saves the laptop.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alan

Visit site
Noticed a comment about being able to receive free TV channels in the Med. Up untill last week I could get the BBC channels via Sky here south of Rome; however last week Sky moved the BBC channels to their Northern beam whcih only covers the more northerly countries. See BBC web site for links to Sky footprints. I have never been able to receive the ITV channels here in Italy but
of course I can still get the free to view Sky channels.

Good luck.

<hr width=100% size=1>Alan Cloke