Calling any boat safety inspectors

G

Anyone out there know about these boat safety certificates???

I have bought a boat which I intend to use on the Thames. However, it is currently fitted with a gas water heater, a gas hob/grill and a gas fridge. The gas bottle is stored in a forward cuboard and the outboard is petrol.

My question is - is this allowable or does the water heater need to be replaced by a sealed unit and the fridge changed for an electric one. Finally, will the bottle need moving???

G

Hi Aldricia,

Boat Safety Certificates - sounds like you need one more for your peace of mind than to keep the EA happy!

Quick answers:
If the water heater (Paloma?) is fitted correctly and operates safely - that's OK.
The gas fridge is a definite no-no on a petrol boat if it doesn't have a sealed burner.
The gas bottle should be in a dedicated locker which is built 'to spec'.

The only way to get all the answers is to put the boat through the BSS examination. Any Examiner worth his salt will be able to explain when on board what's good and what's not - and what you would have to do to get the boat to comply. Bear in mind that the BSS is not a full marine survey as we only check the 'systems' on board. When these are up to spec though it does at least ensure that if you do have a 'nasty' it can help to prevent that drama turning into a crisis! (Never mind the regulations, that's my own justification of it all....)

First step is to ask the BSS at Watford (01923 201278) for one of their info packs which contains the blue/grey booklets explaining the Scheme and the address list of all Examiners. Also try the website for the Association of Boat Safety Examiners (http://www.abse.org.uk) to get details of your nearest member.

If you'll excuse me for reading between the lines, you appear to have realised yourself that some things on the new boat are not perhaps as they should be, so an examination should prove useful anyway. (Not that you can escape it if you want to get onto non-tidal waters!) Although the BSS office (and even some of us long-suffering examiners) can answer individual queries there's still no substitute for being on the boat and being able to see immediately how one change can affect anything else.

So, grit your teeth and go for it. It's easier having someone there to explain it than trying to wade through the booklets in one hit - and we're not all called Mr. Nasty !

Good luck,

Mike

G

Suggest you read BS EN ISO 10239:2000 It covers most of your questions.

Other threads that may be of interest