CALLING ALL VIVACITY OWNERS

Seajet

Visit site
My Doc examined my ribs carefully, he seemed a little surprised how bad it was, ie break not crack, but he was quite definite.

I have had cracked ribs before ( so it may be a weak spot now ? ) and wasn't going to bother the Doc but the pain got better then a lot worse so I thought I'd get it checked; no treatment as I knew, but glad I got it checked.

As for the Vivacity winches, reading here - maybe the handle-less snubbing winches were standard and the bottom action winches were an option, or on slightly later boats ?

sterilecuckoo58

Visit site
My recollection is that a healed break is stronger than the rest, but you've got plenty of ribs for fresh breaks so that likely wouldn't help.

I'll be investigating and lubing my handle-less winches tomorrow or Friday to see what I need to make a new handle on top of mast head sheave investigation, reorganizing jib and main halyard so they feed the respective winches right and so forth.

Seajet

Visit site
sterilecuckoo58,

sorry I expect you are way ahead of me but in case of help; I've never had snubbing winches apart but I learned the hard way with my top action winches that grease goes sticky and prevents the pawls from springing out & engaging, a light oil seems best, not WD40 as that doesn't last.

sterilecuckoo58

Visit site
No, not way ahead by any stretch... today is pellet stove system cleaning, chimney cleaning, and a few similarly enjoyable tasks... hence allowing diversions.. I have not considered lubricant choice. I have used White Lightning which is a teflon based lube for bicycles and seemed consistent with the recommendations for turnbuckles. I'll scout around and see if 3 in one is suitable or more dry type bicycle lube. I have other tasks scheduled for the boat tomorrow so handle fabricating and winch servicing will happen in late fall while she's in her winter slip. Lube suggestions welcome, though clearly off topic. I suppose its part of the ruinning rigging