Calling all NMEA experts

boatmike

Visit site
As a mechanical engineer, electrics generally I can get my head around but electronics does my 'ed in.
I am upgrading an old chartplotter. The connections on my old one confused me a bit but as it worked I suppose its OK....
Questions are
1 The NMEA common ground on the old one has been connected directly to the same terminal that carries the black power ground wire. Is this OK or should it be isolated from the general boat ground? Also in terms of terminology I am assuming that data IN and data OUT are self explanatory and data comes OUT of an AIS receiver to a port IN at the chartplotter but why are there plus and minus Input and Output wires when there is a common ground ? My chartplotter wiring diagram suggests that the AIS has a single input data wire from the AIS to chartplotter and a common ground and that the boat ground is separate. The old one seems to have the green and black ground wires to a common terminal and a Port Out + from the AIS to a Port In + at the chartplotter AND a Port out - at the chartplotter to a port in - at the AIS. I may be confusing the Outs an Ins and the + an - though. Can some kind soul with a brain please tell me that this is actually more simple than I thunk is wos and tell me how the electronic knitting should be connected please? I am sure its not rocket science when you know how these things work but there does not appear to be a common colour code from one manufacturer to another and my brain 'urts.........

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Might be useful to know what the plotter and AIS are. Some devices will use the NMEA -, others use 12v negative.

There cannot be a common colour code, at one it's an IN and the other end is an OUT. So just ignore colours and connect the OUT + of the AIS to the IN + of the plotter. If both devices have - connections join them together, otherwise connect them both to 12V negative.

boatmike

Visit site
NMEA standard utilises what is known as differential signalling, using two conductors, rather than a single line.

Differential signalling - Wikipedia

Other single ended equipment can still interact with a differential NMEA sender using the + line and GND.

Something a bit more NMEA specific.
Thanks for the references.. Heavy reading but I think the light may be dawning. clearly I have one bit of kit that uses the NMEA sender plus ground and the other which has two conductors which was confusing my poor old brain! Yet again the forum has proven very useful. Regardless of the often criticised thread drift there is always someone out there who knows. Thanks again.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
NMEA standard utilises what is known as differential signalling, using two conductors, rather than a single line.

Depends on the version. Versions 1.x and 2.x specify single ended. Differential came in with 3.0. Just to confuse things more some manufacturers use an early single ended electrical standard and a message format from a later version. Garmin used to be a major sinner in this respect. I don't know if they have complied now. Cheap GPS mouse manufacturers continue to muddle things up. It's all a mess.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Depends on the version. Versions 1.x and 2.x specify single ended. Differential came in with 3.0. Just to confuse things more some manufacturers use an early single ended electrical standard and a message format from a later version. Garmin used to be a major sinner in this respect. I don't know if they have complied now. Cheap GPS mouse manufacturers continue to muddle things up. It's all a mess.

Yes, Garmin were major sinners, although it all seemed to somehow work. Current Garmin plotters are all (as far as i'm aware) compliant now.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
There can be and indeed is an official colour code - it's just that hardly anyone follows it ?

View attachment 126056

Pete

What i meant was, you cannot have a code where the gren wire on one device connects to the green on another etc. Because (as i said) one end of the wire will be the talker and the other the listener.

The "official" code might make it a little simpler than just random colours (if, as you say, anyone followed it). But what it doesn't allow for multiple ports. But then it's not too hard to look at the instruction manuals and see that OUT is green and blue and IN is orange and purple (or whatever) and joining them together accordingly.

prv

Visit site
Yes. The previous paragraph says that each interconnection should be its own two-conductor (plus shield) cable, which again isn't very convenient for a typical leisure device that wants to have multiple input and output pairs, plus perhaps power and some special-purpose signals, in a single cable via a single connector or gland.

Either this is something that makes more sense for commercial kit, or just a committee operating independently of the real world ;)

Pete

DAVAIS

Visit site
Some manufacture named the two wires as output + and output-, however the negative is really ground(GND). very frustrated.

boatmike

Visit site
Some manufacture named the two wires as output + and output-, however the negative is really ground(GND). very frustrated.
Well in a way I am glad its not entirely my old brain! Thanks to all you guys I think I have an understanding of the situation now so thanks! In addition to the confusion it is now clear that the colour code on the end of the multicore wire is entirely different to the colours it leaves the AIS due to the wire having been extended by the original installer. Total crock of *****! Still I have it worked out now so thanks again!