Cable Size / Voltage Drop Calculator

prv

Visit site
Here's a screenshot from my own cable-sizing spreadsheet:

ScreenShot2015-01-20at185300_zps367ff0a3.png

Pick the size you like based on acceptable drop :)

(The left column is standard cable sizes, the one headed % is the percentage volt-drop. Labels are a bit cryptic and formatting basic as it was never intended for general use :) )

This was with a voltage of 12v - I can run it again with another figure if you think your batteries might actually be higher.

Pete

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
I'm on my boat at the moment, so internet access is a bit limited.

I need a cable size calculator for 10m (there and back 20m) @ 10A. I've tried three different calculators, with widely different results.

Can anyone point me to the one that is recommended please?

I often refer to this one on Engineering Toolbox ( unfortunately being 'merican its in feet and AWG)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

but now prefer to do my own calculations from first principles using the table in the link on that page namely http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wire-gauges-d_419.html which does give the cross sectional area in mm2 and the resistance in ohms /1000m

I am sure the calculation method will appeal to you

Last edited:

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I'm on my boat at the moment, so internet access is a bit limited.

I need a cable size calculator for 10m (there and back 20m) @ 10A. I've tried three different calculators, with widely different results.

Can anyone point me to the one that is recommended please?

Mmm. I suspect you'll now end up with more than three to reconcile. :) Vic's first principles approach might perhaps cut the Gordian knot.

Last edited:

pvb

Visit site
I do rough volt drop calculations using the "treble 1 twenty" formula. 1A x 1 metre x 1 sq mm = 20mV drop.

Increase the volt drop for bigger current or bigger distance; decrease the drop for bigger cable size.

So, 10A x 1 metre x 1 sq mm = 200mV drop
10A x 20 metres x 1 sq mm = 4000mV drop
10A x 20 metres x 10 sq mm = 400mV drop
etc, etc

Quick and easy, don't even usually need a calculator (although there's one on your phone if you do).

sparkie

Visit site
Interestingly Nigel you've got the same problem with the cable as you have with your sink drain............. Smaller and longer the pipe/cable, greater the losses... Simples! Cheers S.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Nigel, I put a trivial XLS together years ago and have used it for these calculations.

i.e. 18.1/((volts*1000/amps)/metres
It is based on: CSA mm2 = 18.1/((volt drop [volts]*1000/current [amps])/length [metres])

You can see the calc. =18.1/((C7*1000/C3)/C2) in pic. below

View attachment 48623

Very simple with all cells locked apart from those in grey, allowing modification of cable run, current, supply voltage and required voltage drop.

I can pm a copy if it might be of some use though you could probably create in around the time it would take to let me know if it would be useful.

Last edited: