Bye Bye to the Thames

Northern Star

Visit site
Well after eight years of very happy cruising on the Thames from our base at Penton Hook marina it is goodbye from us as we have now relocated our fantastic 1986 Stevens 34 up to the North East so it is closer to our home.

The boat has been my home from home whilst working in West London and we have also had every holiday on board for eight years including some memorable Xmas days at Hampton Court Palace and up to Henley for the trad boat festival.

She is now on her new berth so I wish all the Thames boaters happy cruising and all the very best for the new season.

432569744_7171541936214852_1509143438392033045_n.jpg

harvey38

Visit site
We have fond memories of our three boats on the Thames but increasing marina fee, river licence fee and a more importantly a reducing river depth precludes us from taking our 38' back. Where are you moving her to?

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
A few folks have been asking about boat transport costs.
They have spotted boats for sale in far flung bits of the UK and wondering about getting them back down South.
The price of particular boat in Scotland caught the eye of one chap.
Was it easy to arrange and an expensive exercise. ?

A previous boat was purchased from Wales, all the dedicated boat movers seemed to be quite expensive and busy, a search of the internet produced a number of companies that would shift anything .
The best and quickest quote came from a company more used to moving monster electrical transformers.
Around half the price of the most expensive boat only company and they could shift it within a week of booking.
I had to arrange lift on and lift off. What could go wrong. :)

A personal observation was that Conwy Marina could not organise a P*** ** in a B********.
Everything arranged with marina ,email and phone call and even personal visit by seller.
Transport would be arriving at 08.00 sharp and boat would be in hoist with all top hamper down and props removed ready to load.
Lorry arrives and boat is still on its mooring.
Driver runs out of hours and has to spend night parked p en route.
Has to cancel his return load.
Just lets say driver was incandesant when he finally arrives a day late and muggins here is anxious to see his new toy come round the corner.

Have moved three previous boats by road using a local boat transort company in Queenborough, all of those moves were carried out to perfection and without drama.

Last edited:

Parabordi

Visit site
Have moved three previous boats by road using a local boat transort company in Queenborough, all of those moves were carried out to perfection and without drama.
although they did deliver my boat with a smashed wheelhouse window when I used them.

Northern Star

Visit site
My boat has gone 200 miles up to East Yorkshire and it was all smooth and perfect so a really good experience from Penton Craning, Beverley Transport and the lift in at the other end. We moved her to the new berth this morning and it has to be said whilst the marina isn't in the prettiest area the facilities and cost put a lot of Thames based marina to shame.

It has been a total stress free experience and far better than the mental trauma that I have had thinking that I may have to sell her so it was well worth the cost to move her 100 miles from home and 75 from my new job in Manchester.

oldgit

Visit site
Commenting on another post on another forum.
Mooring for a 9M yacht.
The Solent £7K.
Muddy East Coast small boat club £1K

Supply and demand was forever thus ?

Parabordi

Visit site
Commenting on another post on another forum.
Mooring for a 9M yacht.
The Solent £7K.
Muddy East Coast small boat club £1K

Supply and demand was forever thus ?
Our mooring on the Thames for 37ft was £6K plus £1K Licence

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
moved from the thames to medway 2 years ago, dont miss the thames at all, i miss the club i was at which was 15 mins away from wher i live plus the prople there, but i hated the thames to sail on with all the annoying commercial traffic

Chris_d

Visit site
moved from the thames to medway 2 years ago, dont miss the thames at all, i miss the club i was at which was 15 mins away from wher i live plus the prople there, but i hated the thames to sail on with all the annoying commercial traffic
Assume you mean the tidal river somewhere downstream of central London. The impression I've always got is that between Wandsworth and Sea Reach leisure craft are just a pain and the PLA and commercial craft would prefer you to just not be there :(

oldgit

Visit site
Have never ever been treated other than with courtesy politeness and respect by London VTS.
Have been told off by them on more than one occasion for not paying attention to the rules of the road.
Have also been aware of leisure craft who appear , to have woefully no idea of what they are doing and the feeling they really should not be out there.?