By the water is good for you

dash300

Visit site
Just seen an over enthusiastic CRT Chief Exec on the news extolling their recent research that being 'by the water' improves peoples well being. I note he did not say in the water as he stood beside the open sewer otherwise known as Little Venice!

Old Crusty

Visit site
Just seen an over enthusiastic CRT Chief Exec on the news extolling their recent research that being 'by the water' improves peoples well being. I note he did not say in the water as he stood beside the open sewer otherwise known as Little Venice!

I got very enthusiastic seeing Carol Kirkwood doing the weather from there this morning.

Old Crusty

Visit site
I agree that the river is a great place to spend time on or near. Here's a few facts about the Thames and it's use:

There are 146 SSSI’s, AONBs and National Trails
It generates £200 million revenue and 18,000 jobs
It's estimated to get 28 million casual local visits and 14 million sport and leisure visits
There are about 25,000 craft licensed to use the river

Old Crusty

Visit site
And here's a few more facts for the quizzical statisticians amongst you:

Non-tidal end to end: Cricklade to Teddington
Non-tidal length: 160 miles
Fall 71 metres or 234 feet
Catchment: 3,900 square miles
Tributaries: 38
Locks: 45 or is it really 48?
Weirs: 110
Bridges: 82
Ferries 3
Flow rate normal: 5 to 60 cumecs
Flow rate flood: up to 475 cumecs

Actionmat

Visit site
Non-tidal end to end: Cricklade to Teddington
Non-tidal length: 160 miles
There are about 25,000 craft licensed to use the river

I do love a statistic.

If each of those craft were a 60ft NarrowBoat(only a matter of time:(), moored end to end(without the standard 20ft gap between them), they would litter a distance of 284 miles. Almost the entire length of the non tidal Thames and back or both sides of the river From Teddington to Cricklade :disgust:

Far too depressing to contemplate. So Old Crusty, did you ask the lovely Carol weather she'd be up for it?:D

Last edited:

Old Crusty

Visit site
So Old Crusty, did you ask the lovely Carol weather she'd be up for it?:D

I had the pleasure of meeting the lovely Carol in the winter of 13/14 during the floods when a loose narrowboat was threatening to slip its lines and wipe out her mooring. After the tug boys moved the boat into the lock cut at Bray, I visited the informant to reassure her that the danger was passed and got a surprise when Carol opened her door to me. I was invited in to inspect her deck and will always regard that as yet another missed opportunity :(

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Dont think I actually heard the CEO of the CRT mention boats at all?
He didn't mention boats, as you say. He even said that use of the canals is free to all which may prompt canal boaters to ask for their licence fees back.
I don't think boats register at all with the trustees of the CRT. Instead, they think that they are in charge of a huge leisure centre.