BVI?

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Rather than buying my next cruiser here in New Zealand, I'm considering moving to the BVI (have a UK passport), buying a suitable charterboat and making my living from that.

Is anyone doing anything similar? If so, I'd be grateful for advice and answers to a few questions!

Many thanks
Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Check this, but I think that since 2000, UK citizenship does not grant right of residence or the ability to work in BVI. You would need to apply for a temporary work and residence permits, or 'Belonger' status to settle permanently.

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Hasn't it just Auckland has turned cold (16C), I imagine W'ton even more so!

Have sent you PM.

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

tony_brighton

Visit site
You'll also find a lot of charter companies there already - all the big ones (Sunsail, The Moorings) have huge flotillas - so the competition might be tough.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lost

Visit site
I've had two seasons out there one on my own boat, and there are more opportunities for individual boats in the less crowded areas farther south. The Grenadines, doing charter from Grenada up to Bequaie (I can never spell that one)
There were only a couple of boats doing it, and there are a lot more hotels and cruise ships dropping people in Grenada these days so you can get some day/two day charters. You do have to get permission, but its possible.
Be carefull with the flag of your vessel as you'll have to comply with flag countries safety requirements and local laws with regard to safety equipement. We planned on doing charter on our last trip your welcome to grab anything of our old web site not used now sailonhoneypot.com. I've sold the boat and am busy saving for the next one! We put some good links on the site that might help you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rob_Webb

Visit site
Thanks for the info. I took a look at www.sailonhoneypot.com and she looks a nice vessel in a pleasant location. Seems to be operated by Neil & Lynne - presumably that isn't you any longer?

Still doing lots of research and a few months from making a move but it helps to plan ahead!

Rob

<hr width=100% size=1>

cartman

Visit site
Also thinking about going out there this autumn... but to take my boat (Beneteau First 35s5) and live on that whilst working on others, skippering etc.

You do need a work permit apparently, but it's relatively easy to get. I'm told you must enter as a tourist for a month, get a job and then the employer will help you to get one.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>