Buying UK SSR boat which was in Greece on brexit dar

Mard3005

Visit site
Thinking of buying a boat which has UK SSR but was in Greece 1 Jan 21
Know I would have to worry about VAT if I bring her back to Uk but do I need to consider VAT if I keep her in med ?
If I was to sail to Turkey would I have an issue in returning to EU
Thanks

Hooligan

Visit site
Know I would have to worry about VAT if I bring her back to Uk but do I need to consider VAT if I keep her in med ?
Thanks
If the boat is VAT paid and you can show it was in the EU at midnight on Dec 31 2020 then you are perfectly fine in the EU. Couldn’t tell from the post if boat is vat paid. If not VAT paid then you will either need to pay VaT or work around the 18 month rule.

Bobc

Visit site
You should be fine so long as you have proof that the boat was in the EU on Brexit day.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks
Registration is irrelevant for the purposes of VAT. As said you just need proof that the boat was in the EU on B day. Make sure you get this from the seller - a letter or receipt from the yard where it was located on the day is sufficient. Also worth getting the Bill of Sale and supporting papers notarised in Greece. You don't say where you will register the boat, but if you are able to register it in Greece. SSR can cause problems with some officials because it is only available to UK residents and although there is nothing illegal about a UK resident owning a VAT paid boat in Greece, some officials may have difficulty in grasping this!

goeasy123

Visit site
If you return under a UK flag to Greece from anywhere, but especially Turkey they are very likely to ask you for proof that VAT has not been reclaimed by you or a previous owner and that the document saying the VAT has been paid is authentic. While this is illogical and impossible to do, if the VAT was paid in the UK HMRC will issue you with a digitally signed letter referencing the VAT document you send them. Greek customs should accept this.

Alternatively, just accept the limited transit log and have the boat in Greece under Temporary Importantion rule.... or you might consider reflagging as EU. Poland is the current flag of choice for many UK owners.

Or wait until the Cruising Association's efforts to correct the Greek's inconsistancy with the EU's Union Customs Code are successful.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
If you return under a UK flag to Greece from anywhere, but especially Turkey they are very likely to ask you for proof that VAT has not been reclaimed by you or a previous owner and that the document saying the VAT has been paid is authentic. While this is illogical and impossible to do, if the VAT was paid in the UK HMRC will issue you with a digitally signed letter referencing the VAT document you send them. Greek customs should accept this.

Alternatively, just accept the limited transit log and have the boat in Greece under Temporary Importantion rule.... or you might consider reflagging as EU. Poland is the current flag of choice for many UK owners.

Or wait until the Cruising Association's efforts to correct the Greek's inconsistancy with the EU's Union Customs Code are successful.
Or just register the boat in an EU country ??

Irish Rover

Visit site
Thanks
I'm an Irish citizen permanently resident in Türkiye. My boat is Turkish registered and I'm a regular visitor to Greece. Greek customs invariably raise an eyebrow when I produce my Irish passport and my non EU vat paid boat registration. However, my experience of Greek customs, over many years, couldn't be more positive - in my experience they look for solutions, not complications. If you buy the boat and do want to travel to Türkiye my advice would be fairly simple. Leave and return to Greece through the same port. Tell them you intend to be back within the 3 year Returned Goods Relief threshold period. Get an email address from the customs office and email them immediately after departure confirming your intention to return and claim RGR and email again a day or so before return. I can't see how your flag will make any difference to the situation.

Tranona

Visit site

That is all irrelevant to the OPs potential purchase. Payment of VAT in the UK is of no interest. The boat is EU VAT paid under the terms of the withdrawal agreement unless (unlikely) it was in Greece as a third country boat under TA.

He needs evidence that the boat was in Greece on 31/12/2020 and was previously an EU/UK Vat paid boat

You like many are confusing state of registration with VAT status. The two are unconnected and it is perfectly possible to have a UK registered boat in the EU as EU VAT paid. Registration in an international context performs a completely different function to VAT status in the EU, although individual states may well link the two for boats in their states or owned by their citizens. It is not a requirement by the EU that EU VAT paid boats are either owned by EU citizens/residents or registered in the EU.

goeasy123

Visit site
That is all irrelevant to the OPs potential purchase. Payment of VAT in the UK is of no interest. The boat is EU VAT paid under the terms of the withdrawal agreement unless (unlikely) it was in Greece as a third country boat under TA.

He needs evidence that the boat was in Greece on 31/12/2020 and was previously an EU/UK Vat paid boat

You like many are confusing state of registration with VAT status. The two are unconnected and it is perfectly possible to have a UK registered boat in the EU as EU VAT paid. Registration in an international context performs a completely different function to VAT status in the EU, although individual states may well link the two for boats in their states or owned by their citizens. It is not a requirement by the EU that EU VAT paid boats are either owned by EU citizens/residents or registered in the EU.
You are correct, in EU law, but the Greek port police and customs don't see it that way.

If you turn up in Greece with any 3rd country flagged boat, including UK and EU VAT paid you will be required to get at transit log within 24 hours. Different ports are operating different policies, but you are likely to be asked for digitally authenticated letters from the tax authority in which the VAT was paid referencing your VAT document and that VAT has not been reclaimed.

I've just been through this, and the CA are supporting a raft of petitions for members trying to reverse decisions and get fines refunded.

Nevertheless, to resure the OP, He/she does not have a problem as long as they understand the reality of the situation and use an appropriate get around... for which the OP has not yet provided enough information to suggest the options.