Buying Helpppppp!!

cem

www.solutions4feet.com
ok i am new to here so please be nice...

i am currently looking at my first boat and the brokers info page says that offers on the price may be considered, in the current market what is the accepted sort of % below the asking price that would be considered sensible, not too rude but in the same respect mean that i am not paying over the odds

yes i guess it depends on the seller and what they need but is there a ball park figure i should be considering

BTW we are talking about a boat just shy of £15k not £150k

thanks for any help adive or abuse i get

Mr Wolf

Visit site
Hi Cem,

Welcome to the forum. Not sure why no one has responded so here goes:

The best advice I can give is, check the price against similar boats and see how it fares; more importantly you need to satisfy yourself that the boat is in sound condition and you are not buying someone elses problems as they are likely to cost far more than any discount you are likely to achieve. Hope that helps and good luck.

Elza_Skip

Visit site
Hi and welcome

There are a number of things to consider, but to my mind it comes down to how you could justify a lower price, so things like items you have seen need fixing, proce compared to other similar boats, how quickly the seller seems to need to sell the boat. where it is/how convenient for you etc.

At the end of the day though no realistic seller expects to get full asking price so somewhere around 20% less than asking and expecting to get about 10% off is not unreasonable if the boat is good value.

Buy the way, even at this price, if not buying through a broker make sure you agree a contract of sale with the vendor!

gjgm

Visit site
ok i am new to here so please be nice...

i am currently looking at my first boat and the brokers info page says that offers on the price may be considered, in the current market what is the accepted sort of % below the asking price that would be considered sensible, not too rude but in the same respect mean that i am not paying over the odds

yes i guess it depends on the seller and what they need but is there a ball park figure i should be considering

BTW we are talking about a boat just shy of £15k not £150k

thanks for any help adive or abuse i get
Offers will always be considered so the broker is wasting ink !They might be rejected too...
There is no set %.. sometimes it might be a few %, other times perhaps 25%.
If its a great boat, service records, fairly priced.. well, its just that.. fairly priced. If its over priced, a mess, no sign of upkeep.....
Only sensible thing is decide what it is worth to you,bcz what anyone else thinks is imateriel- it's not us who is going to be paying ;)

russ

Visit site
I have just bought my first boat after 1 1/2 years of looking at different boats and making offers and even getting as far to have a survey.
Most that i made offers on were not excepted and thats for only a couple of grand below asking price. Some even went for full price.
If its a good boat, I believe you get what you pay for.
Mine has a full service history from new and is in lovely condition so I didn't hesitate to make an offer there and then at the viewing. I also managed £2500 off and a free lift and scrub for the survey.
Good luck.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
For me the only way to barter is to vie two or more sellers against each other. The problem with boats is that you won't find two identical ones so you are a bit challenged but that shouldn't stop you.
There is no % I can recommend but you don't have to justify a low offer, just try it. Be friendly and not hard and agressive and you might just pull it off. If it's refused, leave it a couple of days and go back in with another offer.

cem

www.solutions4feet.com
hi guys

thanks for the responses, we were sat in the moderation queue to join the forum which is why there was a delay

well after all that the deed is done, didn't pay as little as i wanted but nor did i pay the asking price....me thinks the owner was less keen to sell than he might be.

all looking good so far..the survey is being carried out today and sea trial is booked for next week