Buying from US not always the best bet

G

My 2001 West Marine catalogue arrived the other day and as I'm about to go off to the US I thought I'd check out the price of a Garmin 128 GPS. I looked up the price $299.99 about £215. I also recieved in the same week two other catalogues, both from the UK, so I thought I'd do a comparison. The first was Mailspeed Marine's 2001 catalogue. Here the Garmin 128 was £199.99. Next I checked out the new Compass catalogue, from them the Garmin 128 is £179.95. This to be honest surprised me as I thought "buy from the US and it will be cheaper. I then investigated a little further. last year I bought a little Garmin eTrex (great bit of kit for its size) from Westmarine so I compared prices again. West Marine Price - $119.99 about £85. Mailspeed Marine - £119.99 and from Compass it is £104.95. So the trick is to really shop around and have several catalogues to hand it can save £'s. If any one is thinking of buying a Garmin 230 GPS don't even think about West Marine, they are about £100 more expensive than Mailspeed - $849.99 (£615) compared to £499.00. As far as I can see in these cases we are not in "rip of Britain!

G

I agree. I am pleased to hear of your results, because I pay tax on cost plus the freight value, I could order from UK and get the prices ex VAT. UNLESS the price you quote are already ex VAT?

The Americans also in general (there are exceptions) act like the world stops at their shoreline particularily when it comes to guarantees and warranties.

Can you tell me what the Email address is for Mailspeed marine and Compass ?

Thanks

G

Problem with Compass is they take ages to deliver anything (I've been waiting 6 weeks for an order, and have waited longer in the past), and when you phone up to find out what has happened to your order, they are less than helpfull. But yes, They're cheap.

G

Recent West Marine prices have been ...

... rather higher than in the past. There is considerable complaining over here about that very issue. There may be some corporate profit problems in the West organization. Defender, BoatUS and Sailnet are known today to have better prices. Not to worry, Americans are not the least bit shy about spending their money where they feel they get the best value. Brand loyality is wallet sensitive and with the US economy slowing it may become more so.

G

I had the same problem withg the shop on this site. In the end I cancelled the order. The problem with UK mail order companies is they are staffed by people who hate the job. In the state the customer always comes first. Its time UK companies relaised that! The other problem may be that that they don't hold the stock and have to oreder from the maufacturer thsi adds to the delay.

G

Re: Recent West Marine prices have been ...

We should take more leaves out your book!

G

Blame is not necessarily on

Yanks in general or West Marine but the international exchange rates from month to month.

The Australian dollar has fallen below 50 cents US, for the first time, making it a bargain destination for Yanks, but a misery for ordering items from the US.

G

Re: West Marine

If you are in UK/Europe I don't think its worth using West Marine as a matter of routine. However most US manufactured products they sell are significantly cheaper than in UK, even allowing for carriage and import duty. For example, I've made big savings on a PUR watermaker and on solar panels. Conversely, their prices on UK sourced gear such as Lewmar and Autohelm are high. What I would say is that they are helpful and efficient, and really do have a "no quibble" returns policy if something is wrong. Dick.

G

Re: West Marine

Do they also pay the return carriage? You quoted taxes, these run at ~5% import duty and you have to add VAT - all this on top of US taxes means you really DO have to research your purchases. WRT solar panels, there is a company on the pacific coast sells Siemens panels cheaper than West. I found that Adverc had the SP75 priced at £317.20 on the web, but when I asked about shipping costs, the price went up to £349 - I told them it was cheaper to go to the US and they said by return, I could buy at the web price. I now have the panel. So........ cheaper here.

G

COOL OFF WITH WARM BEER

Now,Now lad,don/t be too harsh on the colonies, and we rogues and scoundrels who found shelter on these free shores(where, it is most certainly warranted and guaranteed that the Atlantic does stop,...and confessed modestly that stool, always, and product, on occaision,does stink)... but to put the truth where it should sit,we probably have the best consummer laws on the planet, and standards ( at least as far as international vendors like West and others are concerned) which far surpasse caveat emptor. Temperance: it aint perfect anywhere. Michael( a sailing attorney)

G

Re: Buying overseas

Regarding sourcing from the USA, and from personal experience, I recommend getting in touch with the supplier of the chosen piece of equipment and phoning 3-4 of their distributors in the USA for competitive quotes. This gives the clearest idea of what the real market price is. Do not expect those with offices at marinas to offer the best deals!

Sad to say, I too, have found WEST have loaded their prices on many items between last year's catalogue and this, and they will not negotiate.

Peter Gibbs

G

If you\'re in the mood...

...to write something witty and legal for (a small but growing) public to read, we're longing for someone to contribute something interesting for our Legalities page in the Money Talks section of TheSeaMag.com MarineZine for the second issue, out online on 14th April...otherwise we're going to have to bore everybody with something serious. Ugh! Hope you don't mind being asked...you can always pretend you haven't seen this!

G

Not the world: only the Atlantic

Doug: Easy up on that unhealthy xenophobia.The fact is that while shopping need be as discreet here in the colonies as necessary elsewhere, we do, generally speaking, have some of the most vital consumer protection laws on the planet...with no nostalgia for caveat emptor. When you deal with West Marine,Boat US,Sailnet or other int'l retailers,you will enjoy cheerful accountability. Michael(your stateside eyes-wide-open sailing attorney)

G

Not the world: only the Atlantic

Doug: Easy up on that unhealthy xenophobia.The fact is that while shopping need be as discreet here in the colonies as necessary elsewhere, we do, generally speaking, have some of the most vital consumer protection laws on the planet...with no nostalgia for caveat emptor. When you deal with West Marine,Boat US,Sailnet or other int'l retailers,you will enjoy cheerful accountability. Michael(your stateside eyes-wide-open sailing attorney)

G

West Marine - a 4 month old report which explains

Report filed December last:-

West Marine Inc. ( NASDAQ: WMAR) said it expects a fourth quarter loss of between US$5.5 million to US$6.2 million, compared to previous estimates of a US$1.8-million loss. West Marine's 2000 earnings are expected to be in the range of US$0.39 to US$0.43 per share, compared to last year's earnings of US$0.50 per share. The fourth quarter loss is primarily the result of sales shortfalls due to the recent economic slowdown affecting retailers in general, the company said. "Although the last two weeks of December are expected to be stronger due to a later Christmas this year, we do not expect that we will overcome the shortfall in sales that we have been experiencing since the last week of November," said John H. Edmondson, West Marine's chief executive officer. "We have seen a slowdown, relative to our year-to-date sales trends across each of our various channels and the suddenness of the decline in sales and resulting gross margin shortfall has resulted in an increased operating loss." The company estimates that total sales in the fourth quarter will be approximately US$87 million, or flat with the fourth quarter of 1999, and that the operating loss attributed to weaker sales is expected to be between US$4 million to US$4.7 million. As a result of the recent sales trend, the company is revising its sales forecast for 2001 and is currently implementing expense reductions in order to protect future earnings. West Marine will hold a conference call today at 2:30 pm (Pacific) to discuss the fourth quarter earnings warning. An audio replay of the call will be available until 11:59 pm (Pacific) 22 December. The live call will also be Web cast and available in real time on the Internet at www.westmarine.com on the About West Marine page.