Buying from America

jon_bailey

www.cerberusstorage.co.uk
As a new Sportsboat owner I have much equipment to buy. I'm going to the East coast of the States (Lakewood) in a couple of weeks and was wondering what would be good to purchase there. Manuals and polish (Stabright) look relatively cheap but lifejackets are extortionate probably due to their litigious society and besides they are not CE marked.

Any views on waterproof clothing?

Also would it be possible to buy a handheld VHF over there, i.e. do they use the same frequency range?

All advice gratefully received.

milltech

www.iTalkFM.com
The benefits of buying over there are mostly related to tax avoidance over here. Customs and Excise actively support US commerce by happily passing through most parcels duty and vat free. The only saving grace about that is that the US Customs/Post Office do exactly the same thing, so we find we sell the items that are better value here, like lifejackets, in the same way.

Are there any US customers who might like to contribute about what represents good value here?

www.allgadgets.co.uk

Boat Junkie

byron

RIP
Visit site
Forget the VHF even if it does have a switch to change it to International Channels. Apart from being illegal unless your craft is registered under a Flag of Convenience, what happens if something goes wrong? You going to ship it back to the USA? As regards LJs being CE approved, theirs are USCG approved so what's in a mark? USCG are very stringent. Waterproofs, if it keeps the weather out and its cheaper-what more do you want?

ô¿ô

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Lakewood Florida?

Decide what you need, get hold of a WestMarine or BoatUS catalogue when you get here and compare prices. BTW, waterproofs! What are they?:)

Col

Visit site
Re: Lakewood NJ

You will get used to Arthur and his "weather reports"
BTW sorted your engine yet Arf ?

ArthurWood

Visit site
Re: Engine

It's raining! Have to get me Burberry out, if I can find it.
I told you in another thread what my engine prob was. Wake up Col! And how did you know my name is Arf?

G

Most Marine supply outlets in The USA are overpriced, their mark-ups are from 25% to 100%, being in the Marine repair trade, I have several new and used parts dealers that I purchase from at reduced rates, anyone who walks into a Marine store here, and thinks they will get a bargin will be sadly mistaken, If you are planning a trip to the USA, e-mail me with the items you desire and I will send you an estimate and ship them to your destination in the USA, how you get them back with you is on you, I am located in St Augustine, Florida on Anastasia Island, let me know if I can be of any assistance. Dave