Buying FLARES !

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Okay times come for me to buy some new flares for the boat. For the last two purchases I've bought Pains Wessex Offshore bottles.. But I see Hanson also make Flares and there has been a suggestion that flares bought across the channel are also better and cheaper.. Manufactures must meet a specific spec but. What make do people carry onboard. Are the Hanson easier and safer to use. Are the Pains Wessex safer now after the recall. Or is a Flare just a flare what ever manufacture you buy.

Not looked into it yet but is it cheaper to purchase as individual flares rather than buy the complete Offshore kit. Or should i wait until i go across the puddle at easter.

Also any recommended places to purchase.

TIA

shmoo

Visit site
Forgive me if this seems obvious but look at the expiry date carefully. They seem to be issued with 4 year life and when looking at discounted ones look at the exp date and work out the price per year. I was offered some with a 3 year life and they were exactly 75% of the price of same thing with 4 year life, which is fine but not a discount!

jeremyshaw

Visit site
Assuming you and your crew have got familiar with your P-W flares you might want to think about the 'learning curve' of changing brands. I've got different types on my boat and they all operate differently. Though we do dry-practice occasionally I still worry about how slick we'd be at using them under stress at night.

Heigaro

Visit site
Yes, wouldn't it be a good idea for companies like Pains-Wessex to sell dummy flares to practise with and demonstrate to new crew and novices? It would be a good selling point for them as you might always be tempted to buy the flares you know well and have practised with.
Hmm...must write to them with my brilliant idea!
On that point - do you think manufacturers and retailers (except Malthouse, obviously) make a point of having someone monitor forums such as these? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pennycar9

Visit site
I would say that PW flares are certainly the most reliable if not the cheapest. Most distress flares have to comply with SOLAS regulations which dictates burn time, Altitude ect. The RNLI sea safety do offer limited flare deployment demonstrations and are well worth having as normally you get to deploy the flares and so get to know how to use them should the time come. Different manufacturers have different firing teqniques so it is important to be familiar with how each flare should be used.